I made Soup from scratch!


Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Happy Monday!  Well, Happy As You Can Get Monday.  I hope you had a good weekend and stayed warm. I know it snowed up North, but it was just cold here. Really cold. It was definitely good soup weather.

Speaking of soup, I mentioned in my last post that I was going to start making recipes from the many Vegetarian Cookbooks that I have accumulated over the last six months. Six months! Can you believe it?  Actually, next week will mark my Seven month anniversary.  I honestly don't see it ending, except to have some of my mom's wedding day soup. I could make an exception for that. lol.

I started this adventure last week and I went big with my first soup ever. I love soup. One of my favorite memories of the year that I worked in NYC was getting soup from the real Soup Nazi. I don't know why, but I've always been intimidated by making my own soup, but I put on my big girl britches and got to work.

For my first soup I chose a Spring Vegetable Soup. I know that sounds crazy since it's winter, but there wasn't really anything super Springy about it.

The ingredients included: fennel, leek, carrots, zucchini, asparagus, shallots, cannelloni beans,  vegetable stock, and parmesan cheese for a topping. I'm not a huge fan of shallots so I opted to get onion instead. And since I HATE chopping onions, I got a frozen bag. However, I didn't put any in because I'm silly and didn't realize that leeks are part of the onion family. I also opted to add some white potatoes to it. I want it to fill me up.

I enjoyed the prepping and it was nice and relaxing. It only took about 20 minutes and the cook time was pretty quick. I mean I got out my crockpot in anticipation of a long day, but it didn't need that.



It was yummy. I could have used a little bit of the onions and perhaps I will add red peppers next time, but I was in the middle of a bit of an upset tummy so it was perfect.  I also decided to skip the fennel for the next one. I like fennel, but it was a lot of work for something that I really didn't taste.


I have been planning my next batch. I think that will be this weekend's plan.

What I have decided to do is keep notes in the cookbooks. I mark when I made it and any substitutions I made or adjustments. I'm also keeping a journal of everything I try. I list the ingredients and the page of whichever cookbook I use. The journal has been coming with me to the grocery store so that if I decide while I'm there I want to get stuff for a past recipe I can.




In addition to recipes from cookbooks, I'm also keeping entries of meals that I eat out that I like. I have talked about the Amazing Avocado Toast that I had in DC. Well I have made my own versions. I would like to give a big shout out to Trader Joe's for their help. I found Garlic Naan there. OMG. I also like the mini avocados they have. It's perfect.

So I toast the naan with the avocado spread on it. Then I cook some eggs and put it on top. I didn't need the chili flakes because the naan had so much flavor. It's quite possibly my favorite meal on the planet.



I'm pretty proud of my progress. I'm getting a little more adventurous. Although for some reason I am scared of cooking Eggplant. I know it's hard to make just right. I'm going to try and get over my fear soon since so many of my recipes include it.  Although it's not on the menu this week. I actually got ingredients for THREE new meals this weekend. There's no stopping me now. I made one last night and it was okay, but I'm glad I tried it. I will tweak it and not give up.  Stay tuned next week to see what it is and what else I am planning.


Have a Blessed Evening,

Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


 If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts