Planning Ahead

Hello Beautiful People!

Tonight I walked 5 miles in the park after work.  I love these walks for many reasons. But, tonight the main reason is because it gave me time to think about tonight's post.  I had a nice hour and a fifteen minutes to think about the topic.  And that topic is Planning Ahead.

Want to lose the weight?  Well you need to make changes.  LOTS of changes.  The reality is that you got where you are because of bad choices and and bad priorities. It's a tough pill to swallow, but it's true. I think back at the things I did and didn't do for so many years and I want so scream at my old self. I love that I used to get on my grand parent's exercise bike for 10 minutes and expect that I would miraculously get off it skinny.  Nevermind the 3 donuts I ate right before I got on it.  Once again, I was stupid.

If you are serious about this journey you need to plan ahead.  Plan out your week.  Start with your meals.  Do you have any plans to go out to eat?  Work around that.  What plans do you have at night?  Can you find an hour for a workout?

Let me explain that I have OCD.  I am a planner.  It's a gift and a curse.  haha (for those of you who watched Monk :-) I like to plan my week out so that I am not spending several days in a row not working out or facing the temptations.  After this past weekend's bad choices I knew I really needed to buckle down this week and be strict.  That means packing my lunch and scheduling my workouts.

My walks at lunch have been on hold for a about 6 weeks.  First I was sick and injured and then the mall was overrun with teenagers and I just couldn't take it.  Thank goodness it's time for school again.  So knowing that I wasn't walking at lunch I had to make sure that I was getting in walking after work.

On Monday at work we got to talking about Reubens.  Oh delicious Reubens.  So we decided to schedule a lunch and go get one this week.  Well that's my splurge.  There is no question that I have to pack my lunch the other days.  Except that we had a new girl start this week too and now we're taking her to lunch on Friday to get to know her.  I believe the location will be my biggest weekness: Mexican.  Ok, so now I'm starting to slightly panic.  A reuben AND chips n salsa on back to back days?  I can do this. I know I can! I just have to make sure that the other meals are good and healthy. And I can order my taco salad Naked (sans tortilla shell....not as fun, but I will not hate myself after).

So I've got the eating planned out, but what about the working out?  I walked Monday night.  Tuesday night I wanted to walk, but the new cd I wanted came out and I needed a few groceries.  So instead of walking I hit the weights and abs for 45 minutes when I got home.  Tonight I was possibly going to a movie preview and tomorrow I was going to see one of my favorite country singers at a local bar.  Both of these would be fun, but I also knew that I had plans for my lunch hours and would not be getting in my workouts for two days in a row.  I must look like a deer in headlights when I figure this out.  Sadly, but luckily both plans canceled and now I am able to plan my workouts.  Friday is out because of the lunch out and then driving to the beach for Labor Day weekend.  But can I get a holla that I am going down Friday night so that I can hit the gym first thing in the morning before the beach? :-)

I'm not saying you need to plan every moment around your workouts and food, but you do need to make the sacrifices if you want to see the changes. Instead of going to happy hour go to the gym.  Instead of sitting around watching the newest reality show get a step and use it during the whole show.  Plan your meals.  When I get home the very first thing I do is pack my lunch for the next day.  If I let it go too long I will probably end up skipping and saying that I will just go pick something up.

It takes discipline.  But, if you want it bad enough you will find a way.

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts