Get out there and walk

Today someone asked me if I had any tricks to my journey.  The first thing that came to mind was Walking.  I could walk all day if you let me.  Seriously, could there be anything easier?  Not really.  You have to do it all day long.  It's not like you have to condition your body to it or anything.  Just get out there and walk.

I sit at my desk all day and work on the laptop.  Luckily, my office is one mile from a huge mall.  So every day I head over there at lunch with my sneakers, ipod, and my water.  I walk six laps which is approximately 3 miles and come back to my desk for the rest of the afternoon.  I have had days where I was so wrapped up in work that I didn't even get up to use the bathroom until lunchtime.  That's insane. They do not pay me enough for that.  But, that's why my lunch-time walks are so important.  Imagine if I didn't do that?  I would barely move all day and you know I would be so mentally exhausted when I get home that I wouldn't do a thing. Instead not only have I gotten up and exercised at lunch but I've also given myself that mental break to get through the afternoon.  It's such a great stress reliever.

I wish I could run, but my knees will not allow it.  And so I walk. I feel like Forrest Gump sometimes.  haha.  I would walk across country if you let me.  I've tried to talk people into walking so many times and often I get the same resistance: It's boring.  Are you kidding me?  It's my favorite part of the day.  I just slap that ipod, with the fast-paced playlist, on and let my mind relax.

So if you are looking for something to get you started go walk:
*Grab the kids and walk 30 minutes around the neighborhood after dinner. 
*Walk with another mom around the park while the kids have soccer practice. 
*If it's raining head to the mall and do laps there.
*Get a group together and go walk around the outside of your office at lunch.
*Head over to the local high school track a couple nights a week they may have the lights on.

Once you get used to the walking, push yourself.  Add an extra lap or try to beat your last lap time. Don't let it get stale.  Don't get into the same habits because your body will adjust to them. 

My body has changed completely since I started walking so much.  I have always had muscular legs.  I am very proud of that. But, now they are getting thin too!  :-)  Sometimes I catch myself looking at them in total amazement thinking someone else's legs are on my body.

I have had many days where I walked 3 miles at lunch and then 5 more miles after work in the park.  I have always been curious about just how long I could go.  I tested it out one day and got to 10 miles.  I truly believe I could have done more, but I ran out of water.  That just amazes me. If I ever beat that I will be sure to let you know.  And I hope I can do that soon. :-)

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts