Random Sunday: Spring Break, Cheese, Sassy Haircut, and Hygge

Hello Beautiful People,

Wow, it's been a little longer than I had hoped. Last week I was on Spring Break and I fully planned on sitting and writing out a few blog posts, but I made it as much of a Spring Break as possible and relaxed. Hooray! I needed that break something fierce. I mean I was counting backward from 7 with a client the week before and kept skipping 6. Not once. Not twice. And not even three times. If that doesn't scream "I NEED A SPRING BREAK", then I don't know what does. 

There is so much to tell. So buckle in for another Random post. 

In my last Random post, I told you about splitting my pants. Ugh. That was fun. My replacement jeans arrived and I was very excited. I put them on to wear to preschool one morning and only had them on for about 5 minutes before I had to run back and change out of them. I couldn't breathe. They buttoned, but there was no way that I was going to make it through the day. It almost broke me. They were the same size as my "fat" jean. and they were squishing my insides. I was incredibly depressed. 

I'm happy to report that I tried them again that weekend and they fit fine. Hooray. What the heck? Was I super bloated? Gassy? I don't know the answer, but I have worn them several times since. I would still like them to be too loose, but I'm working on that. 

*****

Spring Break started on Good Friday. I had stretching and a client that day so I wasn't traveling until Saturday. I ran a couple of errands on Friday. While I was at Target stopped and eyed up all of the Cheese. Only two days to go my pretties. I couldn't wait. I texted Ms. Kristin, who was my Lent support person. She supported me while I craved chocolate and cheese, and I supported her while she craved soda and chips. I feel like we should have won an award. It was TOUGH.  


 I was packed and ready to get on the road by 7:30am. My first stop was for coffee and then I was back on the road. 


When I'm driving to Mom's I get very excited when I get to Charlottesville. It's the first place that I can spot a Wawa. It brings me so much joy. It's 2/3rds into my drive and a good place to get gas, use the restroom, and get a hoagie. I was about to do that when I remembered that I get CHEESE Hoagies. NOOOOOOOOO! 


I did not get my hoagie that day. I was very sad. I rallied though knowing that I was going to be able to have one in a few days. 

When I got to Mom's, Ms. Kristin and I discussed that we were each told that officially Lent ends at Sunset on Saturday night. What? How is this the first time we are hearing about this? And before you question our sources, her dad is a Lutheran Pastor. So we got good information on this. 

They looked it up and their sunset was 7:30 and mine was 7:40. It was hard. Did we give in to the temptation? Did we wait until Midnight and stuff our faces (like I did last year)? Or do we wait until morning? We did decide that we could have it after sunset. I opted to wait until her husband went out for soda for her. He took FOREVER! Well, that's what it felt like. 

I had a few pieces of chocolate and was pretty proud of myself. And I still haven't had any of the cookies.


The following day was Easter. I wore my new jeans because I knew that I was going to overeat. I have mentioned it before, but I always try to wear something with a waist when I know that I will most likely eat a lot of food. It will help me from overeating.  

We got there early. I made sure to eat breakfast so that I wouldn't arrive starving. But, our dinner was later than planned. I must confess that I hit up the bowl with the M&Ms and the mini robin eggs pretty hard while I was waiting. 


Aunt Carol always makes a wonderful Easter Dinner. I knew that there would be some good roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes. I could pretty much eat everything except the Ham. There was a very cute Rabbit Vegetable/bread/dip platter.


Most importantly there was a huge bowl of Mac'n'cheese. COME TO MAMA!  I couldn't control myself. 


It was so delicious. And I paid for it later. Between all of the chocolate and mac'n'cheese and the tight jeans, I thought I was going to die later. I'm not kidding. My stomach hurt so bad. I was certain of one of two things: I was either about to destroy a toilet or I was going to die. TMI I know, but that's all that was running through my head. I changed out of my jeans into some stretchy pants that I brought with me, anticipating this moment. Turns out that I just had gas. Crisis averted. It was awful though so I've been hesitant with my cheese intake. Oh, I'm still eating it, but I'm going easy. 

After everyone left I asked about the dessert. There was pie and ice cream. Aunt Carol mentioned that she had Jeni's Ted Lasso ice cream: Biscuits with the Boss. OMG!!! I'm going in!


It was buttery and delicious. We made plans to go into Alexandria to go to Jeni's and get some more before I went back to North Carolina.  Spoiler Alert: they were closed with no explanation when we went. It was devastating.  More on that later. 

*****

I don't trust a lot of people to cut my hair. I love my mom's Hairdresser, Fernanda. So I was excited to get an appointment with her over Break. I knew that I wanted a drastic cut. I wanted to go short again.  I started googling short styles and naturally, the algorithm brought up: Hairstyles over 50. Bite me Google! As a joke, I saved a picture of Joan Lunden, but I couldn't show anyone. It was depressing. It was a cute cut, but the idea was depressing. Thankfully, I found a great cut and Fernanda delivered. I LOVE IT!


I have to spend some more time on it and now I'm back to showering in the morning, but it's worth it. It makes me feel good and I have a little spring in my step. My days are full of little kids and working out, so making a true effort hasn't been a priority. It needs to be. It helps me mentally. 

*****

Okay, so we planned our day to go into Alexandria. I had stretching class that morning and then we were running to the used book store. It's my favorite place to be. And if you are in the Northern Virginia area outside of DC check out McKay's Used Bookstore in Manassas, Virginia. I promise you won't be disappointed. It's huge so plan on being there for a while. 

When we left the bookstore we decided to grab lunch in Alexandria. We found a parking spot a block away from Jeni's and we were excited. 


Sadly, as I mentioned before, it was closed. NOOOOOOO!  There was no sign, no message on Facebook, or their voicemail. They open at noon and we didn't get there until after 1. We decided to walk around and grab lunch. But first, I needed a photo op. 




Thankfully we found a really great place to eat: SweetGreen. I had a fantastic salad. They had specific salads that you could choose from or you could make your own.  I got the Hummus Crunch Salad.  It has Hummus, olives, chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumbers, shredded cabbage, red onions, basil za'atar breadcrumbs, chopped romaine, shredded kale, and pesto vinaigrette. I got everything except the olives and onions. It was soooooo yummy. 



Don't worry. On the way home we stopped at the grocery store and got ice cream. 

*****

I had plans to go to the gym every day during Break. I brought my weights in hopes of at least doing some strength training at home if time was tight. I also was excited to try something. Ms. Amy gave me a profile in her iFit account. I was excited to try an at-home workout. I'm still excited to try it out. I want to do some of their yoga classes. Maybe next week. 

The great news is that I jumped in and hit the gym most days this past week and it was wonderful. I sweat. My legs feel good. My butt feels good. It's all good. 

*****

I need to wrap this up. Before I go I want to share one of the Hygge cards that I shared in Stretching Class last week. 


Focus on the little things. 

*****

Hopefully, my next post won't be so long away.  I have the next Ted Lasso episode noted and ready to go. It's going to be a big one. It's one of the most referenced episodes. In fact, my Pastor used it for one of his sermons last month. 

I appreciate you.

Have a Blessed Evening,


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973


Comments

Popular Posts