Ted Lasso - Season 1: Episode 8 - Diamond Dogs (Be Curious, Not Judgemental)

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

I'm very excited about this episode, but I want to mention something first. I am starting this right after my last random post and of course, I remembered something an hour later. Ugh. I'm getting old. Although I do make a list of things that I want to cover, I just never wrote it down. 

Remember my sassy new Haircut? Here, I'll remind you:


Anyway, when I went to the gym last Monday I felt cuter, but not fantastic. I mean I go to a gym in the University area. I'm on the older side there. There are still people older than me so I'm not the only one. I'm usually in my zone reading or watching something on my iPad so maybe it happens more than I realize, but I caught 3 guys checking me out and smiling. It made me feel really good. I needed that. I've felt kind of down and blobby lately. 

Today was an exhausting day. I didn't have clients and I planned on getting my car inspected before going to the gym. But, I'm going to tell you that I sat in my classroom after the kids left and just wanted to lay down for a nap. It was a long day. Well, there were no cars before me and my inspection was finished in 15 minutes. There was no excuse. Off to the gym, I go. I mean even 30 minutes would be better than nothing. I gave it 40 minutes and then I got my massage.  And that's where I saw my new Gym Crush. Oh, I haven't had one in so long. He was laying in my Massage bed. He quickly got up and wiped it down and we talked for a few minutes. He's cute. I love having a good Gym Crush. It is definitely a motivator to get me back there tomorrow.  

*I did not see Gym Crush today, but it wasn't because I wasn't there :-) I'll just hope to see him again soon. 

*****

Alright, let's get down to it. This episode of Ted Lasso is one of the most referenced. I mentioned before that even my Pastor used it in a sermon last month.  I'm talking about 

Season 1: Episode 8 - Diamond Dogs. 

This episode picks up right where the last one ended. It's the morning after the team won in Liverpool for the first time in 60 years. Some are a little drunk. Some got a little lucky the night before. 

Ted is talking to Coach Beard, Nate, and Higgins about his night. The guys ask why Ted is beating himself up. He did nothing wrong. Coach Beard says it's time to get a pair of *He uses a hand motion to indicate scissors. And Nate says "To cut yourself some slack".  He calls them his Personal Dilemma Squad. They go over a few names and come up with Diamond Dogs. Hence the name of the episode.  

That night Jamie shows up at Keeley's. He tells her that "You saw an even greater Jamie inside an already great Jamie." and  "You also taught me to try not to get in my own way."

The next day we are in Rebecca's office. Ted brings her some biscuits and truffles to thank her for being there for him during his panic attack. She asks him to come to a meeting with two women who own some shares in the club. 

Roy and Keeley continue their dance. Oh wait, I don't think I mentioned it because I didn't want to ruin it. DOH! At the end of the last episode Roy and Keeley had a passionate kiss and then he walked away. Earlier in this episode Keeley asks Roy out, but he is busy. Now he asks her and she's mad. 

Roy goes to Ted's office. He tells the Diamond dogs that he can't get Jamie out of his head when he thinks of Keeley. And here comes my favorite quote from the episode. Ted makes a joke about love triangles and Roy responds:

"Does my face look like it's in the mood for shape-based jokes?" 

Seriously, this writing is FANTASTIC. 

The Diamond dogs say they don't see the problem. Keeley is wonderful. Ted asks Beard if he wants to bring it home. Coach Beard delivers the best advice: "Grow up and Get Over It."

And now we head to the Crown and Anchor pub. It turns out that Rebecca's douche of an ex-husband bought the shares from the ladies they were going to meet with. He can't own anything, but his young girlfriend can. Seeing that he is getting to Rebecca, Ted challenges him to a game of darts. If he loses, Rupert can pick the starting lineup. If he loses, Rupert can't sit in the Owner's box.  

There is so much to this interaction. I want to remind you that pretty much no one in Richmond or England, in general, takes Coach Lasso seriously. They think it's a joke that he is still coaching. Rupert accepts the challenge after Ted throws a couple of darts. Then he pulls out his own darts. And then Ted throws another dart and says that he forgot that he is left-handed. Bullseye!

Ted launches into the best lesson. He talks about how guys have underestimated him his whole life. He never understood why. One day he saw a quote by Walt Whitman "Be Curious, not Judgemental". We will forgive him for this, but it was not a Walt Whitman quote. He says if they were curious they would have asked questions. We learn that he spent every Sunday as a kid playing darts with his dad while he hits all of the marks and finishes with a Bullseye. 

There isn't a lot of music in this episode. There is a song by the Struts that you can put on your workout playlist: Put your money on me.  And then of course we hear Diamond Dogs by David Bowie. 

*****

So there we have it. One of the best episodes and it has so many lessons to choose from. 

*Cut yourself some slack

*Try not to get in your own way

*Grow up and Get Over It

*Be Curious, Not Judgemental. 

I have flip-flopped several times trying to figure out which one to choose. I feel like the obvious choice is "Be Curious, Not Judgemental" but, I'm going to stay away from that. I heart Jamie so today's lesson is "Try not to get in your own way." I mean I think that I could write a book on that. 

I get in my own way all of the time. I can make excuses with the best of them. I mean I could practically wear a shirt every day that says "I'm Tired".  So how can we stay out of our own way? Here are some tips. 

*Support Group

  •     Rally the troops. Make sure that your family and friends know your intentions. Ask them to be supportive and see if they would like to join you. 
  •     Find a partner. It's much harder to cancel a workout if you have to bail on someone else.  
*Plan Ahead
  •     Rearrange your schedule. My ideal workout time is not mid-afternoon, but it's when I can fit it in. Sure I'm sweaty and gross for my clients, but it's a sacrifice that I have to make. Actually, I bring a washcloth and deodorant and wipe down at the gym before I leave. I'm not an animal. 
  •     Remember that it takes 21 days for something to become a habit. Plan out your first month and be strict about it. 
  •     Keep a change of clothes, a water bottle, and sneakers in a bag in your car. You never know if plans are going to get canceled and you can get a workout/walk/run in. 

*Hold yourself accountable

  •    Remember that Ms. Amy and I text each other when we meet our daily goals. Even when I don't make my goals, it inspires me to keep going when she does. 
  •    I'm not saying you should blog like I do. Especially since I guess vlogging and tik-tok are the new way to do it. I'm old-fashioned and like to write so that's me holding myself accountable. I mean I know the numbers of how many times my posts are read. The numbers are nowhere near what they once were, but that's not the point. I do this for me. And if I can help educate or inspire someone else in the process, well that's just Barbeque Sauce. 
  •   Keep a workout or food journal if you need to. Mark it in your calendar. 


Okay, I need to wind down and get ready for the newest episode of Ted Lasso. I'm very thankful for my Tuesday night rewards. Especially since my birthday is in two weeks and that means there should be a new episode to look forward to. My Birthday celebrations will take place on weekends and throughout the summer. 

I appreciate you.

Have a Blessed Evening,


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Comments

Popular Posts