Ted Lasso- Season 1 Episode 5 "Tan Lines"- Embrace Change

Hello Beautiful People,

THE EAGLES ARE IN THE SUPER BOWL! Can you tell that I'm excited? They will be playing Ted Lasso's team the Kansas City Chiefs. Well I assume it's his team as is is from Kansas and the Chiefs are Jason Sudeikis' favorite team. So GAME ON Coach Lasso!

With that said, I'm long overdue on a Coach Lasso lesson. Let's get down to it. 

Season 1: Episode 4 - "Tan Lines"

The episode opens with Dusty Springfield's Wishin' and Hopin'. I just love that song. 

Higgins' family drops him off at work. He apologizes to them for the inconvenience, but his wife tells him that it's thanks to him that they can afford to get their other car fixed. We learned that Higgins has a large family. Coach Lasso comes rushing in and hits his head. One of the Higgins boys asks "Is he dead?"

Next, we see Ted in Rebecca's office. He is icing his head. He says he was distracted and can't stop checking his phone. His family is coming and that's when he discloses that he is having marital issues. And thus we can now understand why this man would leave his family and take a coaching job in another country. He says that his wife says his constant optimism is too much. 

When Coach Lasso's family arrives he is so excited that he cancels training. They go to the pub. He is constantly being called a "Wanker". It cracks me up that he didn't know what that meant when they first called him that. 

When they are looking over the menu his wife asks if they serve the fish and chips wrapped in newspaper. She read that they do that in England. Coach Lasso replies "No, I wish. Boy, I'd love that. Have my food teach me stuff."

That stuck with me for a while. We can learn a lot from our food. We can listen to how our bodies respond to it. We can feel when we have too much of it. We can feel when we have too little of nutrients. When you don't eat enough protein your body will let you know. When you eat too much sugar, your body will let you know. I have no tolerance for hot and spicy. My mouth catches fire fast and then my digestive system will hate me. 

In addition to food teaching us things, it's important for us to learn about food. Where is our food coming from? What is being put in our food? 

We see Coach Lasso's family having a sweet time together building a double-decker bus. The next morning Coach Lasso finds his wife crying. She tells him that every day she wakes up wishing that she still felt the same way that she did when they met. 

The team has a home match. They are still having issues working together as a team. Jamie Tartt is only playing for Jamie Tartt. He doesn't seem to care about or respect his teammates. Even though he is the only one scoring goals, Coach Lasso sits him on the bench. The crowd continues to call him "Wanker". 

At halftime, Coach Lasso addresses the team. He tells them "We are broken." They need to embrace change. They need to "do what you have to do to move forward." He reaches up and hits the Believe sign over his office door. 

In the second half of the match, the team comes together and they win. The crowd is delighted. They continue to call Coach Lasso "Wanker", only now it's almost a term of endearment.  The very best line of the episode is when Coach Lasso's son asks what's a wanker? Coach Lasso responds "A man who likes to be alone with his thoughts." Haha. 

When he says goodbye to his family, Mumford & Sons is playing in the background. "Forever" is such a beautiful song. 

So what can we take from this episode? Embrace change. 

There are so many ways that I can incorporate that right now. I'm going to focus on changing schedules. I will be the first person to admit that I love a routine schedule. I struggle when there is a disruption to my schedule, but I am working on that.  One of my clients moved from early morning every day to 4pm every day. While I enjoyed the extra sleep, I didn't love the timing of the 4pm. It sort of limits me. I have other clients and I have my workouts to include. But, this was key to forcing me back into my weights regiment. During the week I am looking at 2 days of long cardio and 3 days of cardio with strength training. The specific days that I concentrate on strength or cardio change each week. That's a struggle for me still, but I make it work. 

It's been wonderful. Well, that was until I got taken down with a stupid cold. Then I needed to embrace the rest. Yesterday I had 3 doses of Nyquil and got 11 hours of sleep. I will embrace the change of sleep. That felt so good. I feel so much better. I'm not 100% but I'm taking care of myself. I forced myself to cancel engagements and focused on my rest. I will happily admit to getting some ice cream when I picked up medication yesterday. Shout out to Haagen Dazs for their Black and White cookie ice cream. 



I do have some more changes to talk about embracing, but I am still somewhat in a nyquil fog and I have to get ready to go to my 4pm client's so I will end it here. 

If I don't get to post before the Super Bowl I need to get out one more GO BIRDS!

I appreciate you.

Have a Blessed Evening,


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts