Random Tuesday: cheese, nyquil, Super Bowl, and missing my dad

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Alright, let's just get right to it. 2023 started off great. Well for the first 3 weeks. I was eating great. I was exercising every day. I was taking care of myself.  I have mentioned before that it takes 21 days to make something a habit. I should have been in great shape.  I was even keeping track of it. 


So what happened?


In short, there were several things that happened simultaneously. The first was the gross foot issue that developed. That stupid corn happened and made pressure on my foot VERY painful. It took a week to get rid of it. In the meantime, I could not wear my sneakers because of the pressure. I have horrible feet. I have short and webbed toes. I have bunions. I have calluses. I have ugly feet. I have had plantar fasciitis many times that lasted for months and even years. I have had nasty blisters. I have had plantar warts on the bottom of my feet (I had one surgically removed when I was in Junior High and up with medical clearance to leave classes early and use the elevator because there was a giant hole on the bottom of my foot after they removed it). I lost my big toenail after my first marathon. I am not new to foot issues. This was something new to me. I don't know how it got so big so fast. This thing was between my pinky toe and my 4th toe. And when I say that I have tiny toes, I do. The corn took up 3/4ths of the side of my 4th toe. So that was issue number one. 

By now you know that my Philadelphia Eagles lost to the Kansas City Chiefs in a nail-biter of a Super Bowl last week. It wasn't the ending I wanted, but that wasn't the issue.  It was an extremely emotional time. After my dad passed away in 2017 the Eagles went on a run and won the Super Bowl. As happy as that made me, it was also horrible because we couldn't celebrate with him. Last fall when the Phillies went on their run to the World Series it was equally exciting and excruciating. I cried so much because once again I could not talk to my Dad. So this run was the same. I loved watching the games. I was wearing my dad's jersey and it made it feel like he was there. The grief felt fresh and it came with a lot of chocolate and pizza. I didn't like it, but I wanted to stay away from drinking wine all of the time. It was a wonderful yet sad time. 

At the end of January, I started to feel crappy. I was waking up all congested. I thought it was allergies so I took some medicine. That was not the case and I felt goofy for two days. Then I switched to dayquil and nyquil and it made a huge difference. Most importantly I was sleeping through the night. I was only on dayquil for a couple of days. I really only felt crappy at night. The nyquil worked, except for the bizarre and very vivid dreams. Ugh. Anyway, I felt better during the day, but I was still working and just very tired when I got home. I still stayed active, but I didn't push it. 

Let's talk about working out while sick. If it's in your head you can work out, but if it's in your belly it is not recommended. Basically, if it's just a cough/congestion you are okay, but if you are tossing your cookies then stay at home. I'm going to modify that though. If you are coughing then cardio is a challenge. Slow it down or just stick to strength or yoga. Don't push your lungs. It's a guideline, not an absolute. Be observant of how medications affect you. And be aware of your balance if your head is congested. Be safe.

The picture that I posted at the top was taken today. You might notice that I even stopped filling it out. I filled out the updated information tonight. 


I mark each day that I do stretching, strength training, 5000 steps, and 10,000 steps. So let's talk about the steps. The steps are good. They keep you active but don't count steps to equate to weight loss. It doesn't matter if you do 10,000 steps every day if your heart rate isn't elevated. That's how you burn your calories. You can still keep track of your steps and have your goals. As I said, that will keep you active, but if you are looking for it to help with weight management, you need to make sure that you are raising that heart rate too.

Okay, it's time to talk about food. My food prep time has not really been a thing for a few weeks. Honestly, I have had more pizza than I would care to mention. I do like to have some frozen veggie pizzas because they are convenient. I can get dinner and lunch out of one. I usually just have one a week. That's not that bad. However, we have had a lot of pizza days at preschool this year so I have had a lot of additional pizza. I just have cheese, but it's still too much. In fact, I considered giving up pizza for Lent, which starts tomorrow. I've also considered giving up cheese. I always give up chocolate. I even celebrated my last piece tonight. 


I can't explain it. I have a chocolate addiction. I am a stressed chocolate eater. However, every year I give up chocolate and I have no problems. I was hoping that it would be the same thing with cheese. Honestly, I would be vegan if not for the cheese. I'm still planning on giving up cheese, I'm just going to modify it. I'm giving up deli/soft cheese. I'm still allowing feta cheese for my salads and parmesan for my soup and risotto. And I'm limiting it to new purchases. I'm not throwing out cheese that I already opened. I may finish that.  And I'm not including frozen meals that I bought that have cheese in them. And I'm not ruling out pizza, but I'm still limiting it. It's not perfect, but hopefully, it will help me reduce my cheese intake overall. I'm also dumping Candy Crush. I gave it up a few years ago and I was good, but it came back as a stress reliever. It needs to go again. 

I mentioned risotto. Ever since I made it at Christmas I have been craving it. I started to make it during Super Bowl Sunday. And then I realized that my arborio rice had gone bad. It was gross. I ended up using regular white rice. It was yummy, but it made too much and there weren't enough vegetables. I ate it over the week. The rice was too much in my belly. TMI, but I don't eat that much start. It backed me up. I felt bloated all day. I am a morning pooper. One and done. For a week I was having a second poop in the afternoon and suddenly felt smaller. Your food intake really does have effects on your body. 

Before I go, I have one more thing to share with you. Are you familiar with Hygge? 


hyg·ge
/ˈho͞oÉ¡É™,ˈho͝oÉ¡É™/
noun
  1. a quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture).


It's a Nordic way of life. Imagine a room full of plants, throw blankets, candles, throw pillows, and organization. There is more to it, but you get the idea. Anyway, this weekend I got a box of 100 hygge ideas. I decided that I will share one at the end of my stretching sessions. I will also share them with you. Today's is about Yoga. 


I appreciate you.

Have a Blessed Evening,


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit


Comments

Popular Posts