No one should go to bed Hungry

Hello My Lovelies and Gents,



It's getting to be that time of year again. Next month will be my 5th year walking in the CROP Hunger Walk. This walk is very important to me. In fact, after my first year walking it I was asked if I would be the Team captain for my church. It was a little intimidating, but I took it on. And then after 2 years as a captain I was asked to join the Walk Planning team. So here we are on Year 5. I've been my team captain for 4 years and on the Walk Planning team for 2 years.

My job on the Planning team this year has been to motivate the other team captains and give them ideas for fundraising. I even joked that I was available for rent. And then I was asked to speak at someone's church during the service.

Cut to today and I'm completely stressed out that I either haven't been around or we've been in the middle of a hurricane and I haven't been able to recruit walkers and sponsors for my church and myself. 

Why is this walk so important to me?  There is a lot of guilt associated with being a stress eater.  I want to vomit when I think of all of the excess food that I have consumed over the years.  Now I'm not going to sit here and claim that it was the healthiest, because for many many years it was not.

Last month I challenged myself to fill a target bag a day with trash, recycling, or donations. I don't keep a lot of food around since most of my food is fresh or frozen. But, I still threw away over 2 bags of expired items. What a waste. Someone who is hungry could've eaten it when it was still good.

How is it possible that we live in today's day and age with such a surplus of food that millions of people go to bed hungry? It doesn't make any sense. It just doesn't.

The CROP Hunger Walk benefits people locally and world wide. It helps communities become self sustaining. It helps people who were devastated by natural disasters. It helps stock food pantries.  All funds raised go to help someone in need. The overhead of the Walk is covered by sponsors.

This is the part where I ask you to sponsor me. Any amount would be wonderful.

https://www.crophungerwalk.org/charlottenc/Member/MyPage/2178712/Jennie-Henderson

And now I will give you the "talk" that I gave my church on Sunday:

I have really struggled with what to focus on this year talking about the 40th Annual CROP Hunger Walk that is coming up on Saturday October 13th at 9am.

So many people benefit from the money raised. Do I focus on the 25% that stays local and helps the 175,000 people in Charlotte who live on or under the poverty line? And of that 175,000 do I mention that 45,000 of them are under the age of 18? To put that in perspective, that would be filling all of the seats for a Charlotte Hornets game 2 and a quarter times. That number is astounding. Let’s just take a moment to let that sink in. 45,000 children in Charlotte come from families that live on or below the poverty level. 45,000.

That’s just one area that I could focus on. I could choose to talk about the people who benefit worldwide from the CROP Hunger Walk. Church World Service told us about a village in Indonesia that had a communal well that they collected rain water from as their main source of water, but children were still getting sick. Church world service discovered that the well was uncovered. So bird feces, bugs, and other debris were contaminating the water. They were able to provide a cover and now the village is much healthier

Another area that they stressed this year was the assistance that they provide for disaster recovery. Last year they spent a lot of time and resources on Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. It’s hard right now to ask for money for one thing when there are so many people asking for help from Hurricane Florence. Church World Services has been helping with this also.

 So I thought I would talk about Hurricane Florence right now. The build up for that was pretty intense. I personally went to the grocery store and target 4 times during the week leading up to Florence.

How many of you went to the store to stock up on Water? How much were you able to get?
How many of you bought bread?  Milk?  Peanut Butter?  Meat? Snacks? Chocolate? Batteries?

Let’s think about those 175,000 people in Charlotte that may not have had extra resources to stock up and prepare. I was home from work for 4 days. I’m guessing that if they have jobs, they missed some days that they won’t get paid for.  Thankfully they have Loaves and Fishes, 2nd Harvest Food Bank, and Crisis Assistance to turn to. They are resources that benefit from the CROP Hunger walk where they can get food, supplies, and help with bills.


Let’s think about the people we know in Wilmington are just now able to get back to their homes. When they are able to go home, where will they buy food? Nothing has been open.  There has been no electricity or trucks delivering food to their stores. 

It’s free to walk, we just ask that everyone raise money. The ideal amount is $150 per person, but honestly any amount raised is welcome.  And if you can’t walk, I would ask that you sponsor one of our walkers. You can sponsor with cash or check in person. Or you can go online and donate with a credit card. Rest assured, I will take your money no matter how you are able to pay.

Advent’s goal this year is to raise $10,000. My challenge to you is: If we raise $10,000 I will wear head to toe Panthers gear one Sunday. If we raise $12,000 I will wear a Panthers shirt every game day for the rest of the season (Except 10/21 when they play the Eagles – that will cost you $15,000) J



Have a Blessed Evening.

Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


 If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts