Prepping for Florence and Missing Dad

Hello Beautiful People,

My mind is all over the place so kick back and grab a glass of wine. This will probably a long rambling post.

This weekend I was supposed to be on a religious retreat. It's one that I have been looking forward to since last November. We have been working hard planning for it for months. Sadly, it has been postponed until next Spring thanks to Florence.

Hurricane Florence has definitely disrupted my life. Although I can honestly say for the better. It was a very stressful week preparing. We didn't get the call until Tuesday night that the retreat was cancelled so I was shopping preparing for that and the possibility of being stuck home during the hurricane.

So let's just address the obvious: water, bread, and milk. I think it's great that everyone buys water. Drink up and stay hydrated. I didn't go shopping for that. I was shopping for my usual staples: eggs, spinach, carrots, hummus, cheese, bananas, tomatoes, avocados, and Pumpkin Spice creamer.  It broke my heart to see the shelves in the produce section completely stocked while there was no water, bread, or milk to be found.


Where was the run on bananas and apples? They were fully stocked. I mean good for me, but bad for the people.

My shopping list also included something else: Protein bars. Again, they were fully stocked. I wanted to make sure I had lots of protein options if we lost power. This is was my first weather emergency as a Vegetarian (13 weeks strong tomorrow). I made sure to get some that were 20g of protein and some that I just really enjoy.



Of course I also got some of the necessities: batteries, matches, and pumpkin spice tea lights. When I went back to the store the second day I ran into Ms. Nora. She was holding flashlights in her hand and said they were restocking RIGHT NOW. I ran over and WOW.  I got the last one. 



That of course led to the search for more D batteries. I had just given up when I found some at CVS. Why was I at CVS? I'm glad you asked. I sliced my finger trying to get the flashlights out of the wrapping and needed to get more first aid supplies.  Now, I haven't had to use the flashlights at all, but that's beside the point. I was a girl scout and I was prepared for this storm!  More importantly, I found the As Seen On TV eggy things.  Have you seen the silicon thingies that you crack the egg and pour it in then boil it? It saves the deshelling mess. Well I got them. They are AMAZING!  Buy them for everyone you know!

I made soft boiled eggs twice and OMG it's so easy.




I prepared so much that I filled my cooler with ice from church on Thursday just in case we needed to put stuff in it if we lost power. There's still ice in there. It was a good investment.

Okay so Wednesday I knew I was staying home for the weekend and I thought there was a chance that we wouldn't have preschool on Thursday so I ran myself ragged. I mean I hit Target first. Then I ran over to Marshall's. I still had a gift card and remembered seeing a wallet with a phone charger. Luckily I had ice in my cooler that day because I then ran to another store looking for D batteries, but instead ended up getting my front headlight replaced. By the time I got home I had an hour to relax and get ready for the next day before I went to Griefshare.

It makes me sad to give up my Wednesday nights with the Confirmation kids, but I have been waiting for this Griefshare session to start since May. I went to the last couple sessions then and really felt like this was a good place for me.   I missed the first session last week because it was the second day of preschool and I couldn't move a muscle. I need to work through my emotions.

I can't talk about what is said in the session, but I will say that they stress D.E.E.R. when you are grieving: Drink, Eat, Exercise, and Rest.  I've got the first 3 down, but it's that last one that I severely neglect.

Well the good news is that I have been forced to rest for the last 3 days. I slept in until almost 11 on Friday. I didn't even wake up to pee during the night.  And no, I didn't have an accident.  Before I went to bed on Thursday I made sure all of my devices were charged and then I passed out.

I had hoped to get a lot of reading done this weekend, but it's been hard to focus. My mind was in two different places. The first place: worried about all of homeless friends that we have met during Hit the Streets. I focused on prepping for the bags to beds project where we make mats out of plastic bags as a layer to sleep on. The second place my mind kept going to was to my Dad. My anxiety has been a little high lately. Today was the 1 year anniversary of the day that Dad called to tell me about his stage 4 diagnosis. It was the day the rocked my world. He passed away two weeks later. I can't believe it's been a year. It feels like it went so fast and yet I don' t feel like I've made much progress in the healing department. We talked a little about that Wednesday night. I mentioned that I feel like my grief just keeps going in circles. Someone made the analogy that its like standing in the ocean and having the waves wash over you over and over. That made a lot of sense.

I think I talked about it before how I wish you could still just get away with wearing black for a year as a reminder to others that you are in mourning.  So here's a little tip that no one really knows about me. I haven't cut my hair since Mom-Mom passed away at the end of 2016. It's kind of like my mourning hair. It's usually up or braided so you don't get to see how long it is, but right now it's halfway down my back. I had planned on keeping it long until after we went on our cruise in December thinking that would feel better by then.  Well there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that we had to cancel the cruise. The good news is that Mom is getting her new hip next week so Hip Hip Hooray!  We will reschedule the cruise. I'm not sure that I will wait until then to cut my hair, but I do know that I'm going to keep it long until I start to feel a little more normal. The session ends in December so who knows.

I'll try to end this on a more positive note. For those of you who are worried about me during this storm: I'm fine. We haven't lost power and have actually hosted a couple of my friends because they either lost power or had to work and I live closer to their work. We do have a stash of chocolate, but I really haven't hit it too often. I even stocked up on wine and just had one glass today. Maybe I should have another and put a movie in now.  I'm really working hard on this Rest thing.  I have kept it to a pretty healthy menu (except for the pumpkin cake with ice cream that I had for lunch today) and have avoided snacking between meals. This is especially good because I'm not burning a whole lot of calories. Rest is hard!

Have a Blessed Evening.

Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


 If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts