Road trips, Cookbooks, and Grilled Cheese

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

This post is long overdue, as my grandmother reminded me. Sorry for taking so long Grandmom Joyce.

So how has it been lately you ask? Well as usual my life got hectic. I hit many walls and really needed to decompress. I'm in the middle of a two week break from preschool, but I still have clients so I can't quite get away for a vacation. I was able to sneak away to see my mom for a couple of days though. Yay!

I got a little nervous once I got on the road. I hadn't prepared a lunch beforehand. I have always struggled with eating healthy during long drives.  There are very few really good options on the road. Take away my grilled chicken and turkey options and it's even harder. It's easy to eat vegetarian on the road, but healthy and vegetarian is another thing.  I do always have a protein bar on me.

One of my joys on the trip to mom's is stopping at Sheetz for gas and coffee. I'm not crazy about the options for food. On my first stop I looked up the options for food while I was placing my coffee order. They had grilled cheese. It qualifies for vegetarian, but all that butter isn't the healthiest. Don't get me wrong, I love grilled cheese, but I prefer having control over the amount of butter (that being said I will probably order it for dinner tonight at Panera, but I also had a pretty awesome garden salad for lunch today so I got in my daily nutrients already). Where was I? Oh yeah, grilled cheese. So I passed on ordering lunch at that point. It was still a little early though and I had time.

Now I should tell you that I did get a snack for the road. I got a cheese stick and well some Pumpkin Spice M&Ms. I just about lost my mind when I saw them. I don't regret it.  :-)



When I stopped for my second coffee ( I may have a problem) I took another look. I had previously seen a cheese sandwich or a vegetable sandwich. I explored these a little further. The vegetable sandwich lacked protein so I ruled that out. I couldn't find whole wheat bread for the cheese sandwich, but I could find a 6" multigrain roll. So I ordered it with cheese, guacamole, spring mix, and cucumbers. I skipped the tomatoes because I thought it might get too messy and difficult to eat while driving. Normally I would just sit and eat, but I was trying to get to town in time to go to 5 pm Church service. It was delicious and I got one on my way back home too.



When I'm at mom's, one of our favorite things to do together is going to the used bookstore. I could seriously spend all day there. Our big excitement for this trip was stocking up Mom with books to read since she's retired now. Yay!  The bonus of the day was that I found a bunch of wonderful cookbooks.

I looked through many and found 4 that I wanted. They have beautiful pictures inside. That was key in my selection.   One of them has lots of instructions on preparation and storage. I like that.



Not strictly vegetarian, but eating by color means lots of vegetables.




On our way home from the bookstore we stopped at one of our favorite places to eat for a late lunch. I have talked about Paris Baguette before. I loved the Turkey Brie Croissant that also had apple slices. Oh it was heaven. When we talked about going there I looked up the menu in a panic. I found an egg salad sandwich, but I'm not a big fan of eating that out. I figured that I would be good with a breakfast pastry.

I was beyond excited when I found an Avocado pine nut sandwich. Hell yeah!  It's similar to the one that I got in DC and make regularly. This one has a balsamic dressing instead of tzatziki sauce. I like it. And I will be replicating this often.



It was a short trip, but it was a good one. I'll be going up again Labor Day weekend and I'm feeling good about my options if I forget to pack a lunch. Yay!  Go me!

Have a Blessed Evening,

Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


 If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts