2023 Charlotte CROP Hunger Walk

 Hello Beautiful People,

This morning I gave my talk at the beginning of the Church Service. I always stress over what I'm going to say. Everyone is very supportive of the Charlotte CROP Hunger Walk, but I take my roles as the Team Captain AND the Co-Chair of the walk very seriously. I only have a few minutes and I need to make it new and also give the relevant information. Here is my talk:

Good Morning. 

It’s that time of year again. The 2023 Charlotte CROP Hunger Walk is coming up in 2 weeks. We all know how much I like to talk so I thought I would make this about me.

A Day in the Life of Jennie.

I wake up use the toilet and wash my hands.

Then I wash my face.

Next, I brush my teeth.

I finish getting dressed and head to the kitchen.

I make my coffee.

I fill my water bottle for the day.

I eat my breakfast and pack my lunch.

I drive to work.

I change a diaper. I wash my hands. This happens several times a day.

I wipe a kid’s nose. I wash my hands. This happens several times a day.

I use the toilet and wash my hands. Again this happens several times a day.

When I get home I prepare my meals. I wash my fruits and vegetables. I may boil water for preparing meals.

I do wash the dishes.

I refill my water bottle to drink.

At the end of the night, I take a shower and brush my teeth.

Twice a week I do a load of laundry.

If you are keeping track, I use a lot of water in one day. And I’m just one person. This doesn’t even include the frills. Watering my plants. Washing my car. Manicures/Pedicures. Cleaning.

I’m not actually here to talk about me. I’m just one person.

According to the EPA:

·       Toilet – 18.5 gallons per person, per day

·       Washing Machine – 15 gallons per person, per day

·       Shower – 11.6 gallons per person, per day

·       Faucet – 10.9 gallons per person, per day

·       Dishwasher – 1 gallon per person, per day

We are so lucky to have access to clean running water. We are so lucky. Can you imagine if you had to choose how to use a smaller about of water per day?

There are areas in this world where women walk miles every day to get the water they need. In some areas, they must walk 3-5 miles to get the water and then 3-5 miles back carrying the water. That is where the distance for the CROP Hunger Walk started. Back in the day, the walk was 10 miles. It represented the sacrifice needed to have water.

The distance for the walk has since been reduced, but it’s still the reason that we walk. We walk to raise money to help people locally and globally to have access to the basic needs that we all deserve.

Locally we raise money for Crisis Assistance Ministry, which in this past year has provided Financial aid casework for 19,345 rent and/or utility crises.

Locally we raise money for Loaves and Fishes/Friendship Trays. They are in desperate need of food donations and monetary donations as their numbers continue to rise. They have spent nearly $730,000 on food this year. Last year they only spent $250,000. We still have 3 months left in the year.

Locally we raise money for Second Harvest Food Bank. They aim to end child hunger. There are 158,000 children in Charlotte at risk of hunger every day. The Kids Cafe Program provides free meals, snacks, and nutrition education to at-risk children during the school year and summer months. The Backpack Program provides a backpack full of nutritious, ready-to-eat or easy-to-prepare foods that is sent home on weekends and holidays when school meals are not available. The School-Based Mobile Pantry is designed to supplement their Backpack Program at higher-poverty elementary schools in our region. The School-Based Snack Programs provide healthy snacks for children at low-income schools. Often these children arrive at school not having had breakfast, and these snacks help ensure they have the best chance of success in learning and breaking the cycle of poverty.

Globally, we raise money for Church World Services. They are on the ground providing for relief from hurricanes, earthquakes, war, flooding, and droughts. They are also providing the education and supplies needed to make remote/devastated areas self-sustaining through wells, gardening, and raising animals.

This year the 2023 Charlotte CROP Hunger Walk is on Sunday, October 22 at Memorial Stadium. The walk begins at 1:30 and you can walk as many laps of the stadium until 3:30. It is free to register and all funds received will go to help someone in need. And I mean ALL funds received. The Walk Logistics are covered by Sponsors. Advent Lutheran is one of those sponsors.

All donations are welcome and will make a difference. $50 can start a community garden with tools and seeds. $2000 can drill a well to provide water to a thirsty community. The Advent Lutheran Goal is to raise $10,000. That’s a lot of gardens and wells. If you would like to walk or make a donation, please see me.

 

 If you are in the Charlotte area on the 22nd please come join us. If you would like to make a donation here is the link: Charlotte CROP Hunger Walk.

I appreciate you.


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 

Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on 
Twitter: hugsnsmile
Instagram: Jennie5973
Threads: Jennie5973

Comments

Popular Posts