Ted Lasso Season 1: Episode 9 - All Apologies (Big Whoop)

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Well, the final episode of Ted Lasso is out. I don't believe I am ruining it by saying that it is the Finale. They always said that the story was a 3-season arc. Now that isn't to say that there isn't a spin-off coming. They definitely left it open for that.

So it's time for an episode recap with a lesson. We are up to Season 1: Episode 9 - All Apologies. 

I feel like this is the time where I say "This is one of my favorite episodes" lol. It is a great episode and I swear I didn't plan this. 

The episode opens with Roy taking an ice bath in what appears to be a giant trash can. Coach Lasso walks in and mentions that everyone has left except Danny Rojas, who is still running laps on the field. 

Roy is being hard on himself. He's not the player that he once was.  He's not as fast. His body isn't holding up like it once did. Ted tells him "You had a bad day. Big Whoop. You beating yourself up is like Woody Allen playing the clarinet. I don't want to hear it. All right? Go easy on yourself. Hey, I got your back. Ain't nothing gonna change that."  

After Ted leaves, Danny comes in and starts running on the treadmill. Roy grunts and goes back under the water. 

I swear rewatching this after you turn 50 is not something I recommend. All I wanted to do was climb in that can with Roy. And not just because I would really enjoy that. No, I wanted to do it because I thought about how good that would feel on my body and I wasn't on a professional sports team. Everything hurts more. I'm telling you. I mean I think I'm in great shape, but that doesn't mean that the wear and tear on my body hasn't taken its toll. 

Back to our story. 

After the opening credits, we see Rebecca in the Lockerroom in the middle of a photoshoot. It's for Women in Football and she says it's not a big deal. Ted disagrees. "Being a role model is a huge deal. Don't you realize that there's probably a little girl out there somewhere rocking a tiny eggplant-colored power suit, and she's just dreaming about becoming a sports executive someday? She's gonna read this article and she's gonna think, 'Holy smokes, my dreams are possible."

Keeley confronts Rebecca. Last week she found out that Rebecca was responsible for something that could have potentially harmed herself and Ted. Rebecca hasn't confessed yet. Rebecca texts Ted and he comes to her office. What happens next is straight from my playbook. 

Rebecca: "Right, I'm not going to beat around the bush. I'm just gonna...get straight to the point. No faffing around 'cause that's just annoying and definitely no procrastinating. Pro-crast - - Pro-crast - That's a good word isn't it? Procrastinating. Procrastinating. I wonder what the etymology of that word is. Obviously, "pro", is very good, but "crast"? Crast...I have no idea. Hey, why don't we look it up? Have you got a dictionary?

Needless to say, Rebecca does not confess at this moment. She asks to talk later. After he leaves, Rupert walks in. His girlfriend is pregnant. This guts Rebecca. She wanted to be a mother. 

A wonderful song is playing. Piano Joint by Michael Kiwanuka. It will grab you. It's not a running song though. I would put it on my cool-down playlist though. And actually, I will do that right now. 



I sometimes think that Procrastination could be my middle name. I am not known for getting things done early. Every two years I wait until the last possible moment to get my recertification credits in for Personal Training. And every other summer I complain that my summer is ruined because I spend so much time studying. It's my own fault. I have two years for goodness sake. I mean I bought this course several years ago. I could have started after I finished my last course. I didn't. It's all on me. I could sit here and give you excuses. This was a really tough year teaching and I was really exhausted. But, I could have started it. I am working on a Weight Management Specialty. When I bought it I was sad to see that there was no option for a textbook. I'm old school. I like textbooks to study. I can study a book anywhere. This course has some downloads, but it's mostly videos and podcasts. You need to be connected to wifi. That rules out sitting outside and studying. It was really hard for me to get started. I did it yesterday though. Go Me! I took my first test tonight. I passed. It was not easy and I'll complain about it in another post.  Speaking of procrastination, let's get back to Ted Lasso.

Rebecca walks into Ted's office and tells him everything. She wanted to destroy the club and hurt Rupert. She apologizes and he forgives her. 

Out on the Training Field Coach Lasso gathers everyone around. "Alright, fellas you gotta remember, your body is like day-old rice. If it ain't warmed up properly, something real bad could happen."

Roy continues to struggle with the idea of not being the same player he once was. The announcers aren't being kind about his diminishing abilities. Nate and Coach Beard want Ted to sit with him at the start of the game, but Ted refuses.  After Beard and Ted get into an argument at the pub Beard leaves. 

The song Waving Flags by Sea Power comes on. It's one of my favorite songs of Season 1. 

Roy stops Ted from stepping into the road when a car is coming. He is still struggling with looking to the right They talk for a while and Ted offers to say that Roy has an injury and that's why he is sitting. Roy asks if he can think about it. Classic Ted responds "I'd call you a big dummy poo-poo face if you didn't."

Later as the team is dressed for training, Roy walks in and dresses for the second team. The song playing as we end is Leader of the Landslide by the Lumineers. It's such a beautiful song. 

There you go, I feel like I told you too much, but there is still so much from this episode that I left out, so go watch it. 

Once again there are several lessons to choose from. 

I love when Ted says "Big Whoop. Go Easy on yourself." It's something I often tell others, and yet it's hard for me to listen to the same advice. I use this a lot though in my posts. 

I could talk about the importance of being good Role Models, especially for young girls. We will circle back to that at another time. 

So the winner is: "Alright, fellas you gotta remember, your body is like day-old rice. If it ain't warmed up properly, something real bad could happen."

I can't stress enough the importance of warming up properly before physical activity. And I mean warming up, not stretching. Stretch if you have a tight muscle, but you need to get your heart pumping. You need to get your muscles warm to reduce the risk of injury and increase your productivity. It doesn't have to be a long warm-up period. and it doesn't have to be all running. Jumping jacks. High knees. Arm circles. Do it for 5-10 minutes. Just get moving.  And then make sure to stretch after.  And for goodness sake, make sure to stay hydrated. 

One of the things that I started in Quarantine was leading Zoom Stretching classes. These classes continue today. It's similar to a yoga class. I lead them twice a week for 30 minutes. My body really does feel good after it. I recently ran into one of my attendees and she told me how much better her back feels. She started with us in January and is kicking herself for not starting sooner. Often I will think of canceling because I'm busy or tired, but I always feel better after the class so I try not to cancel. Tomorrow we will be doing floor work and I'm very excited. 

Okay, I need to call it a night and get some rest. A couple of weeks ago I was having a bad time with anxiety. I was having a really rough time sleeping. So now I'm a little more relaxed and I'm actually looking forward to sleep. Sweet Dreams my dears. 

I appreciate you 

Have a Blessed Evening,


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Comments

Popular Posts