Ted Lasso Season 1: Episode 6 - Two Aces. Reverse the Curse

 Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Who has two thumbs, deleted Candy Crush, and has been super productive this week? THIS GIRL!

This week I am going to talk about our Ted Lasso lesson from Season 1: Episode 6 - Two Aces. I dare say that it's one of my favorite episodes. So let's get started. 

I know I sound like a broken record, but I'll say it again whoever is in charge of the music for this series did an Amazing job. I love every song. If you have Apple Music you can get the playlists for each season. This episode opens with "Sonnet" by Faces on Film. Ted is playing with his wedding ring and this song gives you all of the feels for this moment.  He is late to work and is babbling and struggling to put his sweater on. He says that he is ready to bathe himself in work. This leads to my favorite exchange in the episode.

Coach Lasso: What about you Coach? Do you have a favorite bath bomb?

Coach Beard: Creme Brulee Honey

Coach Lasso: Honey. Is that an ingredient or something you're just calling me now?

Te He. 

Coach Lasso goes to a Press Conference where he is confronted about benching Jamie Tartt. He says that's up to Jamie. When he joins the team for practice is asks if the new kid has arrived yet. Danny Rojas.  He hasn't. Then Coach Beard tells him that Jamie says that he can't practice, that he is "hurt".  Coach Lasso goes to the lockerroom to confront him. It looks like he will let it go until Jamie tells him to "Relax. It's just practice." This leads to one of the most talked about scenes. Coach Lasso's "Practice" speech is based on the infamous Allen Iverson "Practice" speech during a press conference. He tells Jamie that he's supposed to lead by example. Then he tells him to go set up the cones.

And then we meet that joyous ray of sunshine, Danny Rojas. He comes running out to the perfect song: "Jerk It Out" by Caesars. It is also on my Running Playlist. Good Lord this guy is the epitome of Joy. The moment that he comes bursting on the screen and every time after he just makes me smile. Danny Rojas is Joy. The team immediately loves Danny, except for Jamie. 

Later Danny is on the field by himself and trips. He said something not there tripped him. And then we learn that the training room is cursed. No one will admit to believing in the curse, but they also won't go into the training room.  

The team is gathered and told about the history of the training room. Coach Lasso tells them that the way to reverse the curse is to make a sacrifice. Later that night they are all to bring in something of value to them to sacrifice and burn. 

During the sacrificing sequence the song "Over, Under, Sideways, Down" by the Yardbirds plays. This is also in my Running playlist. 

The team bonds. The next morning we find out some big news. I've shared more than I usually do, so I will tell you once again that you need to watch the episode to find out what it is. There was still a lot that I didn't mention because I don't want to ruin it for you.  But, I will share that the episode ends with my favorite song of the whole first season:" Harmony Hall" by Vampire Weekend.

There were several lessons to take from this episode. The first one is to lead by example.  That is a good one, but the reason why I included more of a summary is that we need to make a sacrifice to reverse the curse. 

Do you know the saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome? Well, that's not the literal definition, but it still applies. 

It is insane to think that your body will change even if you don't make changes. So consider that your curse. If you want to make changes you need to make sacrifices. I'm not talking about burning your favorite blanket from when you were a baby. I'm talking about giving up something to make time for exercise. I'm talking about giving up fat, carbs, dairy, etc to lose weight. 

Making drastic sacrifices can be hard. If you don't think that you can make that change last then make small sacrifices and let them build up. When you decide to make a sacrifice to make changes make sure that your goals are SMART Goals. 

S-Specific

M-Measurable

A-Achievable 

R-Relevant

T-Timely

Let's quickly go over each one. 

Specific. Lose weight is not specific. Losing 5 lbs in a month is specific. Getting stronger isn't specific. Increasing my bench press weight from 20 lbs to 40 lbs in 3 months is specific. 

Measurable. Being able to time something is measurable. Being able to weigh something is measurable. 

Achievable. Losing 50 lbs in 2 months is not achievable. And before you say that there are some ways to do it, I will counter that unless you are under a doctor's supervision it is not advisable, nor is it realistic that you would be able to maintain it. Couch to 5k in 3 months is achievable. Couch to Marathon in 3 months is not. 

Relevant. You wouldn't make your goal of finishing a race under a certain time if you don't plan on racing. 

Timely. You want to keep it in a short time frame so that you can keep to it. Make it for 3 months. And if you can't make it by then you can extend it. But, if you make your goal too far away then it is easy to get cursed again. 

When I meet with clients we always go over their goals. We want to make them SMART Goals. Some good SMART Goals would be: to be able to complete a 5k in under 30 minutes, to go down 2 pants sizes, to drink 64 ounces of water every day, or to lose 10 lbs. 

The most important of the SMART factors is Achievable. If you want to reverse the curse and make the sacrifices it needs to be an Achievable goal, otherwise, the frustration of not being about to get the result you want can lead to the curse coming back. The good news about setting these goals is that as you get closer to meeting that goal you can extend it to the next goal. Once you achieve your 5k goal then move to a 10k goal. 

I hope this helps. Now go watch some Ted Lasso episodes before the new season starts March 15th. I'm so excited!

Since I didn't have a picture to go with this post I will share a picture that I took today. I went to the Nursery today to look at plants with Ms. Amy and Ms. Crystal.  Just as Danny Rojas brings me joy, so does taking pictures of flowers. 


I appreciate you.

Have a Blessed Evening,


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts