Random Monday: Lent, Jeans, Plants, and Ted Lasso

Hello Beautiful People,

I have so much to talk about so this is going to be another Random Post.

I hope this finds you well. It was a long week and many times I sat down and wanted to write, but I just couldn't do it. I never sit and write a whole post in one sitting so I don't know why I can't just sit down for 10 minutes at a time. Actually, I can answer that. Hello, my name is Jennie and I'm a procrastinator. 

Well, I'm here now so let's get started. I am pleased to announce that I have not had any chocolate. Hooray!  Okay, I had some mocha in my coffee and I had two mugs of Hot Chocolate, but it's COLD. The cheese has been harder. I will admit to having some pizza and some feta, but I have not purchased any deli cheese and I have been super good about it. I completed 2 marathons, but giving up cheese may be the hardest thing that I have ever done. Ugh. And honestly, I wouldn’t have had so much pizza if not for my lack of food prep time. When I can prep a lot then I make better decisions. Sometimes free pizza is what my time will allow. I’ve got to do better. 

I want to take a moment to brag. As you know, I have been involved with the Charlotte Crop Hunger Walk for a long time and this past year I have been the Co-Chair. Well, last Saturday was our Recognition Banquet. We recognize our top fundraisers, but it's really just a 'Thank you' for everyone involved. We changed the banquet to a Brunch and it was the best idea. We had the most AMAZING French Toast and seasoned potatoes. As yummy as that was, it's not what I'm here to brag about. I'm happy to announce that the Charlotte Crop Hunger Walk was the #1 Walk in the country. WOO WOO. We raised over $201,000. I'm so proud of everyone involved. I even did my hair for the occasion. LOL. 


It's funny. I put off so many things until after the banquet. Why? Because of my aforementioned procrastination tendencies. I mean you would think that I was spending hours every day preparing for the banquet. I did, in fact, not. The day after I finally rearranged and organized my bedroom. It had been on my to-do list for months. It took all day, but it felt so good. I was going to have a light client schedule for the week and then I got the week off from Clients. It felt like a gift from God. I needed rest and I needed exercise time. It was a good mix of exercise, productivity, and rest for me. 

Since I didn't have clients, I made plans to go to Trader Joe's after preschool one day. I wore my jeans. I usually dress in yoga pants every day. It was a special day. And then I bent over to pick up a smashed strawberry off of the floor. RIIIIIIIP! I split my pants. Of course I did. I still so mad. It was my only pair of “fat” jeans. However, my “fat fat” jeans bit the dust last year. So we are making progress. I have 3 pairs of jeans that I am an inch away from fitting in. But, I need a pair to tide me over until I get there. I quickly jumped on Old Navy’s site and found a pair on sale for $19.99 and an additional 30% off. It was meant to be. Thank you Old Navy for being one of the only stores to offer “short” length. I grew up hemming my jeans by hand (I have fond memories of watching Star Search and hemming my new jeans) and I never want to go through that again. Ironically as I was typing this I just got an email that the jeans just shipped and should arrive by Monday. Hooray!  I also grabbed 2 new pairs of exercise pants with the side pockets on super sale. So life is good. Now I just need to get down a size and I will have a plethora of jeans to work with. Oh I also got two new bras. I got this size and style for the first time in August. When I wore it it felt like it was pulling my shoulders back to attention. Good news: The new bras of the same size a little looser. 



I’m also happy to report that last week I finally made it back to the gym gym. I haven’t been since October. Now, that doesn’t mean that I haven’t been working out. It just means that I haven’t been on the treadmill. I really struggle at the gym around elections. I just cannot relax when half of the tvs over the treadmills are on news stations. I have been walking in the gymnasium at church (where I work in the preschool). That has worked for me in many ways. First of all, it’s a much shorter distance to talk myself out of it. I pass through it to get to my car. I’m not going to lie. I’m exhausted every day when preschool is over so it is very easy to say I need rest. Second of all, I have been able to work on my pace without a tread mill pulling one of my legs back. And guess what!  My first time back on the treadmill was a faster pace than the last time I was on one. WOO WOO!  That felt great. And the hydro massage after felt even better. 


I believe that I have talked about the Hygge cards that I am reading at the end of the Stretching Classes that I lead twice a week. A couple of weeks ago one of the cards was about surrounding yourself with plants. 



Now I have strived to be a plant mom for FOREVER, but I am not that good. In fact, I may be the worst succulent mom in the world and that’s pretty hard to do.  I have had a couple of plants for a few years and I really wanted to build on that.  I mentioned in the last post that I went to the Nursery with Ms. Amy and Ms. Crystal. We have decided to make it a monthly visit. That doesn’t mean that I have to get a big plant every time, but it’s nice just to look. Although I will probably need to replace some that I kill. I’m hopeful, but not that optimistic. I am happy with my results though. It took a little while to put it together. I needed to space them out and bring smaller tables in from my bedroom, but it brings me a lot of peace when I sit and look at them. I even won one of the plants that was a centerpiece at the CROP Walk Banquet.  I’m keeping a journal of when they get watered and what lighting each one requires. Happy Hygging everyone!


I made a new recipe this weekend and it’s a keeper. Aunt Carol sent it to me on Instagram. It came from: grilledcheesesocial. She posted a video making Spaghetti Squash Baked Feta Pasta. I love a good Spaghetti Squash. I went out and picked up one. It was freaking HUGE. I mean when I cut it in half, it barely fit in the pan. 


The recipe included a block of feta cut in half. Each half was put in the center of each half of the squash. It is also filled with garlic and cherry/grape tomatoes. You bake it on 400 for an hour/hour fifteen. Then you sprinkle basil over them and drizzle balsamic vinegar on it. Mine was good, but I made some changes. First, I had a hard time with the idea of using so much Feta when I gave up “cheese” for Lent. I mean I know I said that I gave feta a pass, but this felt like cheating. Darn my former Catholic guilt! Anyway, I got Mediterranean crumbled cheese to use. I didn’t use it all. And I didn’t use as many tomatoes as I should have. I also baked it with the basil and balsamic vinegar. It was yummy, but my 5lb squash means that I should have doubled the other ingredients. It’s definitely going in the rotation.  I have another recipe by GrilledCheeseSocial that I want to try. 



Yesterday I joined Hit the Streets for the first time in three years. I have still contributed items to be delivered for our neighbors without a roof, but I haven’t walked with them since quarantine. Yesterday was Mr. Mike’s 10th Anniversary with the group so it was a great day to return. I finished crocheting a bags to beds mat and we passed it out to a woman in need. 


I wanted to bring fresh fruit to pass out. Bags of clementines were buy 1 get one free. So I got 4 bags. And I got 6 bunches of bananas. They are very popular, but I hadn’t fully thought it through. I had to carry that around. We were walking for 2 hours. I’m very proud of my strength. The weight wasn’t a problem. I can carry it. I mean I lift weights for a living. LOL. The distribution of weight was the toughest part. My hip hates me today.  All fruit was given out (except 1 clementine that I found in my bag when I got home). I had also given them some blankets and clothes last week. 



I loved being a part of Hit the Streets for so many years and it was hard to step away for the last three years, but I have been careful because I’m around lots of high risk people. In my head that was a good excuse. It felt really good to be out there and my heart swelled, but I couldn’t sleep. It was cold yesterday. And when I was laying in my cozy warm bed last night I couldn’t sleep knowing that so many people that we spoke to would be sleeping out in the freezing cold. My anxiety over the past three years has been high, and this didn’t help. Now that’s not to say that I won’t go back. I will. I just can’t do it every other week like before. When I gave up Candy Crush for Lent I really wanted to use that time to crochet more mats. I failed. I promised to make another before the next outing in two weeks. The problem is that my left hand started to cramp so much making this last one. That’s why it took so long. I need to figure it out though. I’m taking tonight off, but I will try to start another one tomorrow.  Anyway, Congratulations Mike! 10 Years of making a difference and being a Blessing. What a beautiful thing.


Before I go, I will remind you that the new season of Ted Lasso began last week. Oh the joy it brings. And once again the music is awesome. In fact, my Pastor used a Ted Lasso clip in his sermon this past weekend. I’m getting closer to that episode in my lesson recaps. I will try to get the next lesson out shortly. 

I appreciate you.

Have a Blessed Evening,


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts