The one about our Fabulous Cruise - Part 1

Hello Beautiful People,

It's a tough time right now and I hope you are all doing well. I'm trying to stay productive right now and tackle projects that have been on my To-Do list forever. One of those things is to finally blog about our Cruise last November.  Ideally I would love to invite you all over to watch my slide show. It's approximately 1500 pictures. Not kidding, but you should know that. :-)

I know that there has been a lot of bad PR for the Cruise industry lately and people aren't anxious about going on one after this Covid_19 scare, but I have to say that we had an absolutely fabulous time. I honestly can't complain about one thing and I happily anticipate booking another cruise in the future. Thank you Royal Caribbean for a simply wonderful experience.  I will happily be your onboard blogger :-)

In case you forgot, let me give you the background on this trip.  The Cruise was a Retirement celebration for my Mom. She retired from teaching 3rd and 4th graders.  It was originally scheduled for November of 2018. And it was early 2017 when we booked it. So I had a countdown for almost two years for it. And then mom got her hip replacement surgery scheduled for September 2018 and travel was not recommended for that time frame. So we postponed the trip a year. Basically we had been waiting almost 3 years for this.  The original cruise included Haiti, Jamaica, and Cozumel, Mexico. The cruise that we actually went on was a different ship. We were still going to Haiti and Jamaica, but we would not be going to Cozumel. I was sad, but as long as we were still going to Jamaica that's all I cared about. Jennie wanted to get her groove back.

There is so much to talk about. I could spend a day telling you about the food. It was incredible and I took pictures of almost every meal. Surprise.  I  could spend another day telling you all about our day in Jamaica. Oh Jamaica, how I love you!  So I shall break the trip up into several Blog posts. After all, it wasn't just a cruise. It was also a Road Trip!  For the original cruise we had booked flights, but a couple of things happened since then. The day that I would have flown to Florida for the cruise had horrible winds up and down the East coast and the flight that I was originally booked on was cancelled. Someone was looking out for my vacation. The second thing is that last year Mom, Aunt Carol, and another friend took a road trip out to Colorado to take Mom to my brothers and then for my Aunt to pick up her new puppy (she came home with three puppies, but that's another story). They had such a great time that they have now decided that they are Road Trip people.

Mom and Aunt Carol drove down to Charlotte the day before Thanksgiving.  We would be leaving on Thanksgiving morning and driving to St. Augustine for the night.  Cousin Randy would be meeting us in Fort Lauderdale the following day. He was flying down. We had his luggage, and quite frankly there was no room for him in the car. Seriously.  There was no room.  In addition to the luggage, we also had the base of a car seat that was impossible to remove. We attempted it several times. Eventually we figured out that if we strategically placed pillows on it, I could sit on it when we would need to add Randy to the mix to get from the Hotel to the ship. That's right people, my claim to fame from this trip is that I can still fit in a car seat!  Haha.



The ride was a lot of fun. We listened to a lot of Christmas music. Hooray!  We made one stop and that was for gas with a Dunkin Donuts. I had been very cross with Starbucks for not carrying gingerbread coffee and was beyond excited to find that Dunkin Donuts did have it. It's the little things, but do not mess with me and my Gingerbread Coffee. Seriously, it's the best!

We arrived in St. Augustine in the afternoon. I was hoping that I would finally get my Cracker Barrel Thanksgiving that I had been dreaming of for years.  Alas, it did not happen. Once we arrived, we opted to unpack and eat dinner in the Motel restaurant. It was open and it was a holiday. We stayed at The Ponce. I highly recommend it if you are in the area. It was delightful. The rooms were clean and pretty. We became especially fascinated with the ice making machine in each room. I told you that I appreciate the small things. LOL.

Thanksgiving dinner made me a little anxious. It was my second Thanksgiving as a vegetarian. The first year Aunt Carol made me special Pumpkin/Ricotta stuffed shells and it was amazing. What would my options be eating out?  I needn't have worried. I hit the jackpot!

Before I start, let me suggest that you always take pictures of the menu. Half the time I can't remember the name of what I ate and I almost always forget some of the ingredients.  We started with Arepa de Chocla. That is a grilled sweet corn arepa topped with melted mozzarella cheese.  And it was absolutely delicious. We shared this, but really one person could have eaten the whole thing.




It was a celebration trip so I ordered a Sangria. Yum. And for my Entree I got the Vegan Bowl: black beans, spinach, almonds, cherry tomatoes, quinoa, avocado, and fine herbs.  I shall try recreating this delicious and filling meal.




After dinner we sat out by the pool and enjoyed the views.  It was peaceful and relaxing. Then we face timed with the nephews went to bed.

We enjoyed a lovely continental breakfast before getting on the road. I forgot to mention that for the car rides my book of choice was The Library Book by Susan Orlean. I loved it. If you love to read then check it out, especially if you are a fan of libraries. It tells the story of the fire that burned for hours and destroyed over 2 million books at the Los Angeles central Library in 1986. It also tells the history of the evolution of the Library. It was very fascinating. I'm also a book nerd.

On our way to Fort Lauderdale we were to stop and visit a friend of Aunt Carol's from high school. It was a lovely visit. It was after lunch when we left  her house so we stopped at WaWa for some hoagies and soft pretzels. Hooray for WaWa!  I got a cheese hoagie with vegetables. It was glorious. Well for me it was. Mom was very sad. Not only did she order a cheese hoagie, but she selected extra cheese and they only put one slice on. It was not Wawa's finest moment.

We arrived in at the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale and cousin Randy walked in right after us. The original plan was to drive to the port the next day and park there, but the valet offered that we could pay to leave the car at Embassy Suites and take a shuttle to the port. It was cheaper and so we did.  I'm just throwing this out there if you find yourself following in our footsteps. I truly hope that I can do this cruise justice and it might entice you too book the same cruise. Also, it meant that I didn't have to sit on the car seat base. I would have done it, but it would not have been comfortable.

Dinner consisted of veggies, popcorn, chips and salsa from Happy Hour. And oh how Happy that was. LOL.  Was I drunk? No. Was I buzzed? You betcha!  We also grabbed some items to eat from the gift shop. I think I got some hummus with pretzels and a cheese stick. But, I also bought a cute little dress/cover up for the cruise.

It was pretty cool to wake up and see our ship through the window. There were many ships in port, but our ship, Independence of the Seas, had recently been renovated and put in a climbing orb at the back of the ship. It's easy to spot. Today was Cruise day people!!!!!

So dinner wasn't anything to write home about, but breakfast was fantastic. Pretty much everyone staying at the Embassy Suites was leaving on a cruise that morning, so breakfast was pretty packed, but there was so much food and so many options that it didn't really matter.  I somehow forgot to take a picture of my food, but I'm pretty sure it involved eggs, a bagel, and some fruit. Before I go on, I need to introduce you to two people. This is Sage and Anastasia, Randy's and my unimpressed alter egos.  You will see pictures of them throughout the posts.




It was all fake. I was completely impressed by EVERYTHING! I couldn't stop smiling. Frankly, my cheeks hurt. Jamaica, here we come!!!



It had been 5 years since my last cruise and the difference in check in was amazing. The process was quick and efficient. We pretty much walked right in and got on the ship.   It was also the only place I saw a Christmas tree. Booo.... I was a little disappointed and had hoped that the ship would be decorated. All of my research said that they start decorating the day after Thanksgiving. That was a lie. My friend Jen left on a cruise the day before me, on a different cruise line, and she posted pictures of Christmas trees everywhere. I was very sad, but I promise you that I got over it.







We were on the ship a little after noon and out room key cards would be available in an hour. When we went to the rooms our luggage was already there. Hooray! So we unpacked and I changed. It was so hot. We also got our beverage cups.  There were two areas on the ship with self-serve soda stations. I liked it, but there were some issues with it during our cruise. I think this would be the only issue I had. I mostly used it for water, but I did enjoy some diet Dr. Pepper. 

Since it was lunchtime when we go on the ship there were a couple options to go to eat. We ended up in line at Sorrento's for some pizza. I'm not going to name names, but one of us dropped our pizza as soon as we got it. LOL. Luckily it was all included and they happily replaced it. It was the only time I ate there, but it was good. And there was a line every time I passed it no matter what time of day. People wanted their pizza.

I didn't get the Alcoholic Drink package. I got a handful of drinks on the cruise, but not enough that needed the package. We do like to have a drink when we leave port. So we found ourselves at the Schooner Bar, which would come to be one of our favorite places on the ship.  I got the Spiced Daiquiri: soft brown sugar drenched in bitters and lime, shaken with run, and drained.  It was delicious.  This was my first ever non-frozen daiquiri. I honestly didn't know they came like this. Mom got the Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri.  She didn't get it as her first drink of the cruise, but Aunt Carol eventually got the Lavender Daiquiri and she still talks about how good it was. I wish I had tried it. I guess I'll have to go back again and try it.


After our tasty drinks, Randy and I went for a stroll around the ship. I was very impressed. I'll be honest. I was a little worried that it would feel more like a mall than a boat.  I was wrong.  I loved it. I did enjoy the Adults Only deck area better on the other cruise though. This one was bigger, but a lot of it was under a roof and with the hot tubs it was a little sauna like. I opted for open air chairs for most of the cruise. The Royal Promenade area did look a little mall like, but I didn't mind. It actually made it easy to maneuver around in.



We found the jogging track and I was so excited. It was a great path around the deck and it was cushioned for the knees.  Six laps equals a mile. I hit that track every day except one.  We also spent some time at the Flowrider.  It was amusing and quite delicious. I'll let you figure that one out because I didn't include the delicious in my pictures posted.


Our first day on the ship also happened to be Aunt Carol's Birthday, so we were able to sneak back to the staterooms to decorate her room.  Happy Birthday Aunt Carol! The streamers on her front door also made it easy to find our rooms walking down the long corridors.



Soon it was time to get ready to go to dinner.  It was time for the good stuff. If you go on a cruise, make sure that you eat in the dining room.  The food is spectacular.  On our last cruise, which was a different cruise line, you could choose early or late seating. Each night you sat at the same table of 8. So we got to know some great people. For this cruise, you could make reservations or show up and wait to be seated. Our first night we were seated at a table of 4. So we were on our own. However, we loved our servers so much we made reservations to sit with them every night for the rest of the cruise. We had our same table at 8 every night. It was a little late for me, but it was worth it.

The menus offer "classic" items that are available every night. They also offer many options that are specials. They also include at least one Vegetarian option. There was a Vegan menu that you could request, but they recommended that you would need to order that a day in advance. I did end up ordering from that menu a lot, and was lucky to not need to order ahead of time.



We did not get the internet package and all agreed to stay unplugged. However, you could still get free internet to use the Royal Caribbean app. On that app you could access the food menus for the rest of the week. So I always knew if I wanted to order from the vegan menu or just the vegetarian option.  The app also had listings of events coming up, your calendar for events you booked, and maps of the decks. It was excellent.

For the first night I ordered the caesar salad.  It was good.  Mom made me take pictures of her meals so I know what she had. I don't remember everyone else though. For the starter, mom got the crab cake.



My entree was stunning. Pretty much every meal that I ordered was a piece of art. I opted for the Baked Polenta & Feta Cheese.  I was not disappointed.  Mom ordered the Herb Crusted Salmon and she loved it.


You know I'm always about the dessert. I could eat everything they offered, but for the first night I chose the Pear and Blueberry Cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream. I wasn't taking a chance. It might not show up again. Mom got the key lime pie and it looked yummy!



One of the things I like to do at night on the ship is watch a movie under the stars.  The late movie the first night was Aladdin. I really wanted to go, but everyone else was going to see the Ice Skating show. So I went with them. It's pretty incredible how many tricks they can do on such a small surface. The show was thrilling and it had great music. If you are ever on a ship that offers an Ice Skating show, you should go.  We got there early and they weren't kidding about seats filling up. It's first come first serve and the place was full long before it was supposed to start. I had decided to go to the bathroom before it started and when I came back there was a very good looking gentleman in the seat next to me. My three amigos weren't very quiet about it. LOL.



It was a long and exhausting day so that was the end of Day 1 on the ship.  Day 2 would be our first full day at Sea.  It would also be my first sunrise. That's right kids, I got up every morning (except for one) to hit the jogging track and see the sunrise.  They were some of my favorite moments from the trip.

For the last picture of this post, I will share with you one of my favorites. It may not seem like anything big, but I took this picture of the artwork on the wall of the stairway at the front of the ship on our floor. I grew to love these ladies. When we were first getting to know our way around they became my guiding light. If I saw them then I knew that I needed to go down the hallway on their left. If I didn't see them then it was a LONG walk on the right.



Tune in tomorrow for our first full day at sea and our trip to Haiti.

Have a Blessed Evening,

Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


 If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts