5 Recipes and I survived giving up chocolate for Lent

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Well Easter is tomorrow and if I can make it through the next 3.5 hours, I will have successfully given up chocolate for Lent. This was NOT Easy. I mean if you asked me to give up breathing, that might have been easier.

This past week was Spring Break. It didn't quite go as planned, but it was productive. The first day was pretty quiet though. I got up and went to my clients, and then it was as if my body said "Spring Break!" and crashed. I was exhausted. I clearly needed the rest. After church on Sunday I drove up to see Mom for a couple of days. The plan was to get some work done on my car and for us to go to Mount Vernon. We decided we would go on Tuesday. That didn't happen though, because Monday just about killed me with allergies. It was so windy that the pollen literally blew into my mouth. I felt like crap the rest of the day. On Tuesday we bought surgical masks for me to wear outside. Ugh. I came home on Wednesday and went straight to my clients.

Yesterday I made a new recipe, so I guess it's time to tell you about the recipes I made a few weeks ago. In all fairness, I took two weeks off, so I have 5 recipes to share.



Recipe 1: Strawberry Rhubarb Oats


OMG this was so delicious it's crazy. I had to hunt down rhubarb, but I am so glad that I did.

The recipe calls for oats, plant milk, rhubarb, strawberries, and chopped dates. I wasn't sure if it would taste good the next day, but it did. In fact, when I've been making it, I've been making 3 bowls full. Have I mentioned how delicious it is? This is great for me during the week.





Recipe 2: Blueberry-Tangerine Oats

I was very excited about this one. And it was good, but did didn't taste as good when it wasn't fresh. For this one you cooked the oats in a mix of water and orange juice. I thought I would try the almond milk for my second batch. That was good, but it still wasn't better.

For this recipe I used tangerines, oats, fresh blueberries, sliced almonds, and fresh mint. I'm not giving up on this one, I just need to eat it fresh when I make it.





Recipe 3: Greek Pita Bowl

This ranks as one of my favorite new recipes. And it was so easy and full of flavor.  Do you see those pita chips? I made them :-) I cut up some pita and coated it with a mixture of oregano, garlic powder, and olive oil then baked it. The recipe said to use water instead of olive oil, but that felt a little wrong.

The bowl recipe was for whole wheat couscous. I couldn't find any, so I used Rosemary & Garlic Couscous. I don't like fresh onions or olives, but I used the rest of the ingredients: spinach, grape tomatoes, hummus, and cucumbers. I even added some feta cheese and pine nuts. The dressing is a mixture of tahini, lemon juice, red-wine vinegar, dijon mustard, water, garlic, and oregano.

I could eat this every day.



Recipe 4: Blueberry-Spinach Salad Bowl with Orange Vinaigrette

THIS!  Holy crap, it is amazing.

The Bowl recipe called for wheat berries, but again I couldn't find it, so I used couscous. I am still looking for wheat berries, so if you know where I can find some let me know.

Do you see those Sweet Potato chips? Guess what! I made those too. I sliced them then coated them with a mix of orange juice and paprika. It also calls for curry powder, but I haven't gotten that brave yet.

The Bowl included spinach, cannellini beans, fresh blueberries, and avocado. The dressing included orange juice, white wine vinegar, fresh herbs (parsley, chives, or dill), and dijon mustard.

This recipe is incredible. I still dream of it. And I will be making this very regularly.

You may have noticed that there were a lot of similar ingredients in the recipes. That's why I made them together.  I constantly hear that it's expensive to eat healthy, but it's not really. You just need to make the most of the ingredients when you buy them.  It does suck when I have to throw something out because I didn't eat it in time.

This week's recipe was great because I had almost all of the ingredients.



Recipe 5: Spinach-Apricot Salad with spiced Lentils

The only ingredients that I didn't have were fresh mint, pistachios, and apricots. The rest I have in abundance: spinach, chickpeas, lentils (red), ground cinnamon, and garlic.

I'm super excited to report that I did not burn the lentils this time. Hooray!  I did cook them in vegetable stock with the garlic.  The flavor! OH my. Now, not to get too personal, but this recipe should come with a warning: Not for intimate evenings. The gas. Good Lord. Luckily I anticipated it, because if I hadn't I would have thought something was wrong with me.


******

We are now just over 2 hours away from Easter and I must go to bed. I am going to Sunrise Service in the morning. I love Sunrise Services, and it has the added bonus of making sure that I go to sleep before midnight and don't stay up to stuff my face.

I should probably also mention that as I have been writing this, I have been further torturing myself by watching Chocolat. If you didn't know, it takes place during Lent. So technically it's and Easter movie (and I'm a masochist).

Happy Easter :-)

Have a Blessed Evening,

Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


 If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts