The last week in my 40's...and Aladdin!

Hello Beautiful People,

I'm back from a quick getaway. On Friday I drove up to Virginia right after Preschool. I wasn't crazy about a long drive again in such a short time, but it was worth the knee pain. 

If you know me, then you know that I LOVE Broadway Musicals. I have lost track of the hours spent on my road trips while listening to Musical Soundtracks. I have wanted to see Aladdin the Musical for years. And this was my chance to do so. Hooray!

Leading up to the weekend I had gotten in lots of workout time. My body is really making positive changes. I was excited to step on the scale, but I was let down. Not because of the number, but because there was no number. I tried changing the batteries, but it was dead. Oh, booger.  There's a great scale in my bathroom at Mom's and I asked if I could bring it home until I find a good one. She said of course. In the end, though, I opted against it. I'm still planning on getting one because it's important to know where you stand. But, I don't want to get upset if the numbers aren't in my favor. I'm afraid that would derail my progress. For now, I'm going to keep going based on the positive changes. 

Before you think that I'm a horrible daughter, I only asked about taking the scale because I was certain that Mom had a second scale. I've had really good scales and I've had crappy scales. The one at Mom's is a good one. It's one I trust. 

Okay so let's get to the road trip. I used to love long drives. I still don't hate them, but my knee hates them. I have worked VERY hard to make my knee feel better and for the most part, I'm in a good place. However, long drives are evil. I mean in my defense, it is a 6-7 hour drive each way. I have learned that I HAVE to make 3 stops if I leave later in the day. If I am leaving pretty early then I can get away with 2. However, my right Knee is my "good" knee and it can completely lock up if I'm not careful. It sucks getting older. 

Ugh speaking of. I am in my last week in my 40's. 

My first stop was a little over 2 hours into the trip. I grabbed a chocolate bar. I'll admit it. When I got back in my car I put it on the passenger seat. I made a turn and it slid right off. It felt like the saddest moment of my life. I mean it wasn't in a spot that I could just reach down and get at a red light. I thought about pulling over to get it since my next planned stop was another 2 hours away. And then I told myself that I was insane. I tried to push it out of my mind and stay strong. I stayed strong, but it was in the back of my mind the whole time. Ugh. 

Happily, I arrived at a decent time. I wanted to get a good night's sleep because my plan was to get up early and hit the gym before I got ready for the show. And I DID! Yay! Go Me! And then I shocked the heck out of myself. I mean I know that I say that I am tired after Preschool. And I know that sometimes I will have a plan to work out right after and then I just don't have the energy, but damn I just didn't know how bad it is. Because I got on the treadmill and I took off. I mean I fully anticipated that I would have a slow pace because it was first thing in the morning and I would be a little tired, but I was wrong. I was shocked at the difference in my pace. Preschool is rough. 

As I was getting ready I put my jeans on and they felt fine. And then I ate lunch. The jeans felt tight. Dang it. I changed. The pants didn't look right. I put the jeans back on. And they felt fine. I think I'm going crazy.

Aunt Carol picked me up and we headed to the metro. Washington D.C. is one of my favorite cities to walk around. However, my body doesn't always like it. Sometimes I am in great shape. Sometimes I am injured. Sometimes I'm not in my best shape. I'm happy to report that I had no issues with the hills or stairs. Hooray! So here's the thing. I have struggled in D.C. at lower weights. But, right now I am injury-free and I'm working on my stamina and lung capacity. It's working. Thank goodness because I will be back in D.C. for the annual Memorial Day Weekend Get Together with Ms. Kristin and the family. 



Okay, so let's talk Aladdin the Musical. It was AMAZING. Lifting up a big Thank You that there were so many kids in the theater. I could SEE! Yeah, they offered booster seats to the kids. I would like to request one for my next show. 

The music. The dancing. The laughs. The costumes. It was all incredible. It was also a little hard on my head. The ladies all had bare midriffs and looked stunning. It was a great show, but it also made me feel a little bad about myself. Ugh. It was still a couple hours of Joy and I am forever grateful for that. 

While we were waiting for the Metro to go home I wanted to try out a photo trick that I had seen. If you want a picture of a person, but there are lots of moving objects around what do you do? Take it as a Live photo. The subject should not move. Afterward, change the setting from Live to Long Exposure. This is a picture with a moving Metro next to me. Pretty cool. The only problem with this idea was that the metro made my hair blow around which made several of my pictures blurry.



After the show we went to my favorite place for dinner: Silver Diner. I had the most amazing salad.


It was a Warm Roasted Local Veggie Salad. There were diced beets, squash, brussel sprouts, red peppers, basil, rocket greens, kale, sunflower seeds, pecans, and dried apricots with a champagne vinaigrette. It was one of the best salads that I had ever had. I'm not a big beet person, but I don't always like it. Every time that I have them at the Silver Diner I have loved them. I need to figure out how to make them so that I would like them. TMI I forgot about it that next morning and thought I was dying after I went to the bathroom. 

Before I headed home I met Aunt Carol for breakfast. I looked up the menu before we went and I was super excited for the Greek Breakfast Burrito. I mean they put the Tzatziki sauce in the burrito. YUM!


It was a rainy drive home and it takes more out of me than I realize. But, I got a laugh when I got home. I had a few packages from my Uncle waiting for me. He wanted to remind me that I'll be 50 soon. 


I'll wear some of them this weekend. A bunch of my friends and I are going to the wineries again. Hooray! My big Celebration will be later this summer. Think ROLLER COASTERS!

Before I go, let me just talk about when to push yourself and when not to. Get to know your body. I planned on going to the gym on Monday, but I felt off. My muscles were sore from gripping the steering wheel all day the day before. I was tired from the trip and tired from Preschool. I did not feel like myself. I opted for rest and sleep. And good news: I felt HUMAN again on Tuesday and went back to the gym. I would have risked injury if I pushed myself on Monday. 

I appreciate you.

Have a Blessed Evening,


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973



Comments

Popular Posts