Ted Lasso Season 1: Episode 1 - Be your own Coach Lasso

Hello My Lovelies and Gents,

I hope this message finds you well. I have a very lovely staycation at my mom's during our August break. Then I came back to set up the classroom. Ms. Alex and I worked hard and I felt really good going into the new year. The classroom looks really good and everything is so organized. Then I went away for Labor Day weekend to see Ms. Laura, who lives at the beach. Ahhh. And then school started. I felt like I had been hit by a truck after day one. Happily, each day got significantly better and I finally made it to the gym on Friday. I should also mention that I have clients 5 days a week and I am the co-chair of the Charlotte Crop Hunger Walk that is coming up next month. I'm wiped out. 

I haven't forgotten you. And I haven't forgotten The Road To 50. I have been working hard to put myself first. It's not always a hit, but I'm trying. And I'm guessing many of you know what I'm talking about. 

Okay, so I had promised to write some Ted Lasso Motivation posts. For those of you who aren't familiar with the show, it is the BEST!  It is on Apple+ and stars Jason Sudeikis. He's also a co-creator/writer. It premiered during the summer of 2020 and it was the much-needed medicine we all needed. 

The premise is that Ted Lasso is an American College Football coach who gets hired by an English Football team (soccer).  The Pilot episode is setting up the premise so there isn't a big quote to work with. Although one of my favorite quotes of the whole series is in this episode: Roy "OY! If I don't hear silence, I'm going to start punching dicks!". I'm waiting for the day that I can use this appropriately, but sadly preschool is not the right place.  Anyway, we get a lot of character development in this episode. 

Coach Lasso doesn't know a thing about English Football, but he does know about building up players and building teams. It carries over to his everyday self.  It may seem simple, but he asks everyone their name. He asks the chauffeur at the airport. He asks the equipment manager, who replies that no one ever asks his name. One of Ted's superpowers is to make others feel important and seen. He compliments people.  It's such a simple thing. 

That is today's lesson: See other people and compliment them. I'm going to challenge you to go further. See yourself and compliment yourself. 

One of my favorite features has always been my legs, at any weight. No matter what, my calves have always been on point. Then after the Cleveland Marathon, I was so dehydrated and they cramped hard for a long time. That cramping led to the plantar fasciitis that I struggled with for a couple of years. That injury really impacted my workouts and it sucked. Add to that my grief after my dad passed and that is where the weight gain came from. I stopped looking at my legs. And then one day during quarantine I saw them. There were dimples everywhere. I almost threw up. What happened? 

I have made it my mission to get my legs back. It hasn't been easy. My BC (before Cleveland) legs were TIGHT. They looked so good because they were so freaking tight. And those tight muscles were bad for my foot. And they were seriously bad for my knee. The tight muscles pulled on my knee which exacerbated the pain. For two years now I have been leading stretching classes several times a week. It's been great. My body is healthier because of it. It has reduced my hip pain. It has helped with posture. It has made me more flexible. Now, this isn't to say that I don't still have tight muscles. I do.  It just makes my day-to-day living so much better.  It also makes it harder to have those tight muscles that defined me for most of my life.  But, I can't have right that foot pain again. So those legs are in the past. 



A beautiful thing has happened though. The dimples are GONE! My legs are toned. I'm not embarrassed by them anymore. In fact, I'll go even further. I don't like comparing my body to other people's bodies. It's not healthy, but I realized when I looked at other women my age, well my legs look nice. I'll take it for the win. I mean it helps when they got a little tan.  I spent some time at the pool in August and I couldn't stop taking pictures of my legs. It made me so happy. 

I don't like to do anything that exposes my legs at preschool. It's mainly because little hands find their way to personal places. I got a little too comfortable with liking my legs so much that I have been wearing skorts. It's gotta stop. I'm short. When the littles wrap themselves around my legs, it gets uncomfortable. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. 

Okay, back to Ted Lasso. After you recognize your hard work, take the time to recognize someone else. Isn't it nice when someone recognizes your hard work? Sometimes it's hard to accept though. I know. It can mean admitting that other people saw you how you saw yourself. I was really working hard this summer, but I didn't think it was showing. It was very frustrating. And then one day someone said, "You look like you've lost weight."  It took me a little while to thank them. Honestly, I was shocked that anyone had noticed. I literally texted a thank you a couple hours later. It was really nice to hear. Although, I'll be the first to admit that I have a hard time receiving compliments. I'm going to need to ask a therapist about why that is such an issue for me. 

It's time for me to relax. I am going to log off and read a little. My schedule is crazy and there has been little "me time" lately. I've been making an effort to give myself 15 minutes a day just to read for pleasure. This time to myself is priceless.  I deserve it though.  Our next Ted Lasso episode will include one of the most used quotes of the series. Stay tuned...

Have a Blessed Evening,


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts