No one should ever go to bed hungry

Hello Beautiful People,

I have talked about the Charlotte CROP Hunger walk before. I have been participating in it since 2014. The next year I became the team captain at my church. And the following year I was asked to join the walk Team Planning Team. This year I am the Co-Chair of the Charlotte Walk. It is an immense honor to be the co-chair, but it is stressful. I want to do a good job and I want to be a good personal trainer and I want to be a good preschool teacher, and I want to take care of myself and I want to be a good friend. If only I didn't need to sleep. 

I got involved in the walk because it angers me to my core that we live in the year that we do and so many people in this world live with food insecurity. It is unacceptable. How much food goes to waste every day? It's too much. No one should ever have to go to bed hungry. And I get extremely angry when people want to deny students free lunches at school. Fight me on it because this is UNACCEPTABLE! 

Every year I stand in front of my church congregation and give a talk about the CROP Walk.  I thought I would share with you what I said a couple of weeks ago:

 

I’m Hungry. I’m Starving. These are so easy to say. But, right now we are in an impending Global food crisis.  This October 16th Advent is participating in the Charlotte Crop Hunger Walk. All of the funds raised go to help people locally and globally. Locally we partner with Crisis Assistance Ministry, Second Harvest Food Bank, and Loaves & Fishes/Friendship Trays. Together they help local families with financial Assistance to help with bills/rent. They run food drives to help feed local families. They deliver food to the elderly and those who need assistance. The need is real. It was high before 2020 and has just continued to grow since then.

 

And then there is the impending Global Food Crisis. 40% of the World Food Programme’s grain comes from Ukraine. Conflict, COVID, the climate crisis, and the rising costs have combined in 2022 to create jeopardy for up to 828 million hungry people around the world. I’ll repeat that. 828 MILLION hungry people around the world. On any given night, 828 million people in this world are going to bed hungry.  And we aren’t talking “I skipped breakfast” hungry. Again, 828 million of God’s children are going to bed hungry. Since 2019 the number of those facing acute food insecurity has soared from 135 million to 345 million. In 3 years, the number of people facing acute food insecurity has tripled. The numbers are sobering. It’s heartbreaking. It’s depressing.

 

Thankfully, Church World Service is on the ground around the world. They are in Kenya where drought has spread and crops and livestock have died by supplying emergency food rations. They are helping farmers in Haiti adapt to Climate Change by teaching local farmers soil conservation techniques. They are in Moldova where nearly 100,000 Ukrainian people have sought refuge. They are providing much-needed food and hygiene supplies. They are also providing mobile classrooms and study pods to help the children continue their education.  They are in Kentucky responding to the devastating floods. They are providing emergency clean-up kits, hygiene kits, and school kits to those in need.

 

It’s hard to ask people to donate money right now. I get it. Prices continue to rise. Several times I have considered visiting the food pantries myself.  It’s one of the reasons why I really believe in the Crop Hunger Walk. It’s hard to decide between getting the brand names or generic ones. But, that’s a choice that 828 million people don’t have. And God has blessed us to be in a position to help them.

 

So let me tell you about the Walk itself. This is our second year at Memorial Stadium. We moved there last year because of the renovations being done to Independence Park. Frankly, I love it. Pros: It’s a flat walk surface. My Knees LOVE this. It’s a circular course. So if you are tired, then you can just go sit in the stands and cheer on the other walkers. It’s nice to be able to share the whole walk with so many people. Most importantly, I cannot stress how much nicer the bathrooms are to portapotties. Even if you don’t feel up to walking, I invite you to come anyway and support those who are.

 

One last thing. When we talk with the local agencies we are hearing that they are getting record numbers of food drives being held, however, the volume of food being donated has decreased. So we are also hosting a food drive on the day of the walk. 



Sorry for the giant font, but I have old eyes. Anyway, if you live in the area I invite you to register and join us for the Charlotte CROP Hunger Walk.  If you don't live in the area, then I encourage you to look for your local walk. Not to brag, but Charlotte is the number 1 fundraiser in the country. We're kind of a big deal. LOL.  

If you cannot walk but would like to donate (every single dollar donated goes to help someone in need, we have sponsors to pay for the walk itself) I am happy to share the link to my fundraising page: https://events.crophungerwalk.org/2022/jennie-henderson-2

Okay, I'm tired and need to call it a night.  And I have a couple of chapters to read before I go to sleep. I am currently reading Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn. If you are reading this let me know. WE MUST DISCUSS IT!

Have a Blessed Evening,


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts