Happy Thursday: New Year's Resolutions and Recipes

Hello My Lovelies and Gents,

Happy Valentine's Day. So how are those New Year's Resolutions holding up for you? LOL.

Once again I don't make resolutions, but I did make some changes. So far so good.

The first change was to focus on reading the Bible every day again. This was part of my day for so many years. And twice I have read the Bible in a year. Well almost twice since I sort of stopped 10 months in the last time. One of the things that I kept saying while I was going to my Grief share class was that I needed to focus on that again. It centers me. And so today was Day 45 and I'm still going strong.

The second was to focus on some downtime for myself every day. I'm supposed to be reading something fun at least 15 minutes a day. I haven't quite kept to that, but I'm reading more than I have last year so that's a bonus.  I'm on my third year of keeping my reading journal and I have finished 9 books in 2019 so far. It sounds like a lot, but 6 of those were audio books.  I was at this same number last year so I have to step it up.

The third change was to knit at least 15 minutes a day. I was going strong earlier. I'm not quite keeping to it every day, but I'm still doing it regularly so that's a plus.

The fourth and most challenging change for me was to try a new Vegetarian recipe each week.  I started off with such a bang that it was not long before I was pushing it to two a week. GO ME!  I have to remind myself that during some really hectic weeks that I committed to only one per week.

Let's talk about the newest recipes. The previous recipes all came from a Cookbook called "Keep Calm and Veg On".  A few weeks ago I found this gem while I was checking out at Target.

I started salivating when I flipped through it.  So I've started using it for my recipes.

Last week I lost I tried something that I kept looking at and looking at and looking at. I made Black Bean Salsa stuffed Sweet Potatoes.  Oh I cannot even begin to describe how delicious this was. However, the Sweet potatoes I got were GINORMOUS. I will use smaller ones next time.

I made the Black Bean Salsa with chopped tomatoes, corn, black beans, and onions. I put it on the sweet potato and then topped it with cilantro and avocado. The recipe said to bake the potato, but I steamed it in the microwave.

Just seeing the picture again makes me want to make it again. Did I mention that it was SOOOO good?

At first I was going to go get some chips to eat with the left over Black Bean Salsa. Then I found some other things to do with it.

I put it on a couple of my salads. That was delicious. However, the more exciting option was cooking it with my eggs for breakfast. I knew it was going to be a while before I ate lunch on Sunday so I wanted a nice hearty breakfast. It worked.


I haven't made the second recipe from that week. In all fairness, it isn't exactly a big recipe. It's for a flavored popcorn. I'll tell you what flavor when I make it. The suspense is killing you isn't it?

It got cold again and I wanted soup. So today I went shopping and got the ingredients for The Best Ever Beef-Less stew. Now my soups have a tendency to go heavy on the veggies and light on the liquid. That trend continued today. LOL. The Stew calls for potatoes, carrots, celery, peas, onion, garlic, mushrooms, tomato paste, rosemary, paprika, and Italian seasoning.  I put in a lot more servings than it required and I skipped the mushrooms. OMG it was so good. I double the tomato paste next time since I had more water to help with the outrageous portions of veggies that I put in it. Also, I like the Rosemary to soak in so it was cooked in not served as a garnish.




In all fairness, I need to share, or confess, that I was bad on Sunday. I had that big breakfast and then for a late lunch I went to Amelie's French Bakery.  I don't know what came over me, but the girl that binge watches The Great British Bake-Off couldn't keep her eyes off of the Chocolate Espresso Entremet. And that's what I ate for lunch. Seriously, it's the only thing I ate for lunch. I will not apologize.



And on that note, I shall bid you adieu for now.  See you soon.

Have a Blessed Evening,

Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


 If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts