CROP Hunger Walk: My stress and our success

Hello Beautiful People,

Tonight I sent out an email to my participants from the CROP Hunger Walk. I was so very proud of them.

In case you missed it, I led my Church's group participation in the annual CROP Hunger Walk this year. Last year was my first walk:

http://jennie-henderson.blogspot.com/2014/10/walk-to-end-hunger.html


When I was asked to take the lead it was a natural fit for me. It combines two of my passions: fitness and ending hunger. I eagerly accepted. Little did I know that my schedule would go absolutely crazy and my time available became limited. I stressed that I would let people down. Our church is always extremely active with walking and generous with donations, what if our numbers dropped this year because I bit off more than I can chew?

It's always extremely difficult for a food addict to reconcile with people dying of hunger around the world and in our own backyard. How much excess food have I purchased over a lifetime while so many people go to bed hungry?

I love the argument that eating healthy is so expensive. It's so not true. Eating healthy is fine, it's the extras that make it expensive. Did you know that $1000 can provide the proper nutrition to feed 15 children for a year? I was extremely humbled to have that amount donated by two of my clients. It made me cry. Shocking I know.

The CROP Walk is a 6K. It represents the miles that women and their daughters walk to get water for their families. Can you imagine having to walk that far to get all of the water your family needs each day? They are able to carry 3-5 gallons of water back. That's it. That's all they get to use for drinking, cooking, and bathing. The average American household uses 100-150 gallons a day. We are so very lucky.  The week before I took a bubble bath to relieve stress and that only stressed me out from guilt. It was so luxurious when so many have so very little water. It was a bubble bath fail.

I am so very proud of my peeps. To date we have raised over $11,000 and are closing in on $12,000 (online and offline). We have exceeded my personal goal. I couldn't be happier.

My afternoon after the walk was exhausting. I had the 5k the night before and then I had the walk. I felt like I had been hit by a truck. It wasn't a physical exhaustion. I was so mentally beat down that I curled up in the recliner and watched my Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers game and then I passed out.

I have a challenge for you. Become aware of your food purchases. Don't buy excess unless you are donating it. Don't buy the extras. That's the Former Fat Girl's suggestion. You know you can't eat it if you don't buy it. Buy fresh. I go to the store 2-3 times a week for veggies and fruits. 

Challenge: Take your weekly food budget and pare it down to food necessities. Don't buy the extras. Don't go out for your meals. And then take what you don't spend and donate it to make a difference. Our fundraising page is still up and we can take donations through the rest of the year. Twenty-five percent stays local and all of it goes to make a difference (no administrative fees). It's time to eat with a conscious.


http://hunger.cwsglobal.org/site/TR?team_id=120426&fr_id=21276&pg=team



Have a Blessed Evening
****Please note****


 If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile
Instagram: Jennie5973

Comments

Popular Posts