Ted Lasso Season 1: Episode 4 - "For the Children"

 Hello my Lovelies and Gents,


Happy New Year. I really suck at this regular posting thing. It's hard to imagine that I used to do this daily. So much to talk about as always, but I am long overdue for a Ted Lasso lesson. Please don't revoke my fan club membership. 

So kick back, relax, and let's get started. 

Season 1: Episode 4 = "For the Children"

We start in the locker room. Sam apologizes for missing a pass. Everyone's favorite Jamie Tartt is basically a dick. Roy gets in Jamie's face. They start to go at it. Coach Lasso breaks it up and asks Coach Beard to tell them the first rule of his Fight Club. Beard yells "NO FIGHT CLUB". And thus we begin Coach Lasso's journey to put an end to the infighting of his team. 

We soon learn that this episode is about Rebecca hosting a charity event "for the kids".  Rebecca is trying to choose what outfit to wear. She holds up a dress and says that she doesn't think that she can wear it. Coach Lasso responds "Sure you can. Fashion is all about confidence."

I Love just how supportive he is of her. Let's just break this down for a minute. I know that it is fiction, but this is one of the most realistic moments in the series. The actress who plays Rebecca is Hannah Waddingham. She has one of the most incredible bodies in the world. And sadly it is not far-fetched to imagine a woman not feeling positive about her body. It's hard to imagine anything that would not look stunning on her. But, that doesn't mean that she would feel confident.



We were just talking about this today. What I wouldn't give to have my high school body again. I hated my body in high school. It makes me so mad. I shudder to think about what it would have been like to go through high school and survive with social media. It makes me furious when I see young ladies idolizing women who get so much plastic surgery. 

Okay, back to the story. In contrast to Rebecca not feeling confident enough to wear a stunning dress, Jamie opts for a jacket with no shirt. He does look damn fine. I'll give him that. 

Coach Lasso is bringing Nate as his plus one. He passes Cam Cole, the musician from episode 2, playing music in the park. I will once again take this moment to say GO LISTEN TO HIS MUSIC!  Sadly, he was here in Charlotte, but I was away that weekend. I would have loved to hear him in person. 

Coach Lasso picks up Nate, who is wearing his dad's suit. It's too big. Coach Lasso buys him a suit that fits. 

On the Red Carpet, everyone reacts differently. Some of the guys are having fun. Rebecca is nervous. She hates posing. Luckily Keeley is there and offers her pointers on the most flattering poses. Women supporting Women is the Best!

So much happens at the Gala. Some relationships deteriorate and some improve. 

Rebecca's a-hole ex-husband got her music entertainment to cancel at the last minute. Luckily Coach Lasso is able to get Cam Cole to play. He brings the house down!

Once again, there is a lot more that happens, but the point is not to recap the whole episode. The point is to focus on one Coach Lasso lesson. Today we are going to focus on "Fashion is all about confidence." 

So many people attempt to press reset on themselves at the beginning of the New Year. Gyms offer deals on memberships. Diet programs advertise everywhere. Magazines highlight people who had massive weight losses. How did they do it?  

It is a nice time to try to get started. The holidays are over. It's time to get back into a regular or new routine. The weather can be blah. It's nice to have something new to focus on. 

Some years I feel really great about myself through the holidays. Some years I roll into January feeling like a stuffed turkey. I know how much weight I gained over the Holidays. I know because I needed to weigh myself, then weigh myself holding my suitcase so that I could make sure that I was under the 50lb limit. Ugh. That wasn't fun. I knew in my head that I wasn't as bad off as I felt, but that's why your mental game is so important.  It's crazy to think, but when I'm out of my routine for a couple of weeks, my brain feels like I have lost all muscle tone. This is not realistic at all, but that doesn't mean my brain isn't trying to tell me that I'm just a lazy blob. Thank goodness for muscle memory. It does not take too long after getting back into my routine for my body to start to change back.

My exercise routine changed after Thanksgiving. I was still making cardio and stretching a priority, but I wasn't including strength training. I could look back and regret it, but I also know how busy and exhausted I was. I'm not out here making excuses, I'm just saying that I'm back to focusing on strength training. I'm not going to wallow in it. What I am going to do, and am doing, is get back into my regular routine. I'm home and back to eating my regular meals. I'm working with a new schedule and adjusting. I'm focusing on drinking more water. I'm looking at new vegetarian recipes. I'm hitting the weights. I'm getting in my cardio. I'm happy with my routine. I will not step on that scale again until February. I'm going to keep moving forward. 

Has there been a huge change to my body since January 1? Nope. Do I feel like my clothes fit better? Absolutely!  How is this possible? Because fashion is all about confidence. I'm feeling better about myself and my choices. I'm walking a little taller. And I'm less concerned about what I'm wearing and how it will fit.  Am I cured? Heck no. That's not to say that I'm not self-conscious. I'm just less self-conscious.  Coach Lasso was right.  Of course, I'm just wearing yoga pants and long sleeve t-shirts. 

 I appreciate you.

Have a Blessed Evening,


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts