Mindful Eating: What to you eat? When do you eat? How do you eat? How much do you eat? Where do you eat? And a nice recipe

Hello Beautiful People,

I hope this post finds you safe and healthy. I have made a couple new recipes this week and I'm excited to share them with you. However, I want to talk about something else first. Remember how I said I want to share what I learn in my recertification classes? Well, this is one that I really enjoyed: Mindful Eating. 

Choosing a Healthy Lifestyle doesn't just happen overnight. It means planning ahead. It means thinking about every choice you make. It means dedication. It means changing bad habits. 

Mindful Eating doesn't focus on what you eat, as much as HOW you eat. So let's think about how we eat?  Is it something that you plan ahead? Do you just drive by a fast food place and pull in? 

Learning about proper nutrition is hard. The guidelines change as more research is done. And let's face it, you can't go a day without someone telling you about a new diet, program, or supplement that will change your life. There's too much conflicting information. Ideally, everyone would consult a personal trainer and a nutritionist for their individual needs, but where's the fun in that? Everybody is different. The same program isn't going to work for everyone.  I could get on my soapbox here about how the Diet Industry is a $4 Billion industry and not everyone is out there with your health in mind. I could get on my soapbox about how unhealthy lifestyles lead to health issues that line the pockets of big Pharmaceutical companies and medical professionals. Right now though, I'll talk about small changes you can make to help with that Healthy Lifestyle. 

I want to start with the word "Diet". The first thing that comes to mind is that someone is trying to lose weight. However, that would be a specific type of Diet. The actual definition itself is the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats. Everyone has a diet, but not everyone's diet is targeting weight loss. 

There are 5 factors to keep in mind when it comes to your Diet: Lifestyle, Environment, Season, Age, and Health. Is your Lifestyle based on being active all day or sitting in an office all day? Do you live in a warm or cold area? The fresh fruits and vegetables available are depending on what season it is. What your body needs changes as you get older. When it comes to your health, well a pregnant woman's needs are different than someone with diabetes.  If you take anything from this post, remember that we are solely responsible for ourselves. It is up to us to be advocates for our own bodies. 

So let's get into it. What exactly does Mindful Eating mean? Well, it means being aware of your food selections. It means being aware of your emotional triggers. It means being in tune with your body and being aware of how you eat. It means eating to nourish your body. 

Let me introduce the Mindful Eating Cycle. Clear your mind and answer truthfully about eating: why? when? what? how? how much? where? 

Why do I eat? There could be many different answers. I eat because I am hungry. I eat to fuel my body for activity. I eat because I am stressed. I eat because I'm bored. I eat because we are at a gathering and there is lots of food. 

When do I eat? More importantly, when do I want to eat? I eat when it is convenient. I eat at the same time every day. I eat when there is food present. 

What do I eat? I eat what's on sale. I eat what is convenient. I eat what my doctor recommends. I eat what is on this specific weight loss diet. I do not eat meat. I eat what my mom/dad/husband/wife makes for me.

How do I eat? I eat at restaurants regularly. I stop for fast food a lot. I eat while I'm working. I eat what I planned on my food prep day. I get food delivered. 

How much do I eat? I clean my plate. I supersize everything for a bargain. I always ask for a To-Go box and bring half home. I graze all day. I fast. 

Where do I eat? I eat at the dining room table with my family. I eat on the couch. I eat out. I eat in bed. 

Awareness is the key to making change. Were your answers what you wanted to hear?  Do you think you could make better choices?

To have Mindful Eating means that there is also Mindless Eating. Mindless eating is a variety of things. It means multitasking while eating. It means feeling like eating is a chore. It means eating because you are stressed and something triggers you. It means craving and then getting popcorn because you are watching a movie. It means eating because you are bored. It means eating while you are distracted. Most importantly, it means eating is not a priority. 

Unhealthy eating is "Trendy". I practically throw up in my mouth when I see some of the newest fast food items when they are advertised. I get it. You need something new to keep people coming in, but at what cost? Because it's not taste or health.  Social media challenges don't help either. #DonutBurger. 

Have you noticed that some fast-food restaurants are changing their decor? They are making them more attractive and less cafeteria-like. They want you to sit longer and enjoy your food. They want you to come and hang out like people do in coffee shops. 

And now for the section that you have been dying to hear about: Metabolism and Digestion!  Woo Woo. I'll spare you and not get too technical. I just want you to think about some things. First, we will start with where are you getting your energy? In other words, what is your Energy In?  Is it fast food? Is it plant-based? Are you eating out? Are you eating homemade meals? Are there external problems affecting your energy IN? Second, I want you to think about how you use your energy? What is your Energy OUT? Are you in front of a computer all day? Are you getting lots of steps throughout the day? Do you spend a lot of time worrying or depressed? Do you exercise regularly? Do you watch a lot of TV?

Digestion is the least sexy topic out there. That doesn't mean that it isn't important. I am pretty sure that I'll lose some of you if I go into detail about the mechanics of digestion, so I'll spare you. I will say that you know that it starts in your mouth and travels south. You know where and hopefully you know that it takes a while to process. 

What is your posture like when you eat? Are you having flashbacks to being young and out to dinner at a fancy restaurant and your aunt leans over to tell you not to slouch? Well, she's not wrong. If you eat with your head down it reduces your sense of taste and it restricts your esophagus. If you eat in a slouched position then you are inhibiting your respiration. You are more likely to have something go down "the wrong pipe". One thing that I hadn't thought about is that slouching compresses your internal organs.   There is a tendency to bring oneself to the food instead of the food to oneself. Really think about this the next time that you are eating. I know that's hard when it is soup or something else droopy, but then use a bigger spoon. 

Alright, back to the more exciting topics: Chewing vs. Tasting. Everybody chews, but not everyone tastes. That's so sad. On a side note, when I became a vegetarian I really started exploring flavors and I am so thankful that I have.  When you eat, do you chew enough? Do you chew too much? I know there are some people who say you need to chew each bite 10 times before you swallow to help with your digestion. If you have digestion issues, by all means, please do. But, please remember to taste and savor your food. If you aren't enjoying it then it might not be good for you. Did you know that the tastebuds on your tongue are different? Food and drinks taste differently depending on where they are on your tongue *You might learn this if you visit a winery and ask about the different shaped wine glasses. 

Mindful Eating means eating at the ideal time. If you are active then you want to eat within 30 minutes of your exercise. If you have odd work schedules then your times may differ from other people. Eating to fuel your day and exercise should also be factored in. That means eating properly, not empty calories. 

When you are eating make it a relaxing experience. Listen to calming music. Take deep breaths between bites. Slow down your eating (Make sure you allow time for your meals). Disconnect from devices. I am the worst at that and I will freely admit it. I tend to eat most of my meals by myself so I like to stay entertained. But that also means that I slouch over and I don't focus on the food itself. 

Raise your hand if you are an emotional eater? *My hand is up*.  Emotional eating sucks because it comes on suddenly. You may crave something specific. It might be comfort food, or if you are like me it is chocolate chocolate and more chocolate.  Are you ever really satisfied after you emotionally eat? Not me, I usually regret it right away. That is because that need to heat comes from your head, it is not your belly telling you that you are hungry.  It's not something that you can just turn off. So one thing that you can do is keep yourself surrounded with healthy options. I have said it before and I'll say it again, you can't eat it if you don't buy it. There is a reason why I do not have shelves of chips and a freezer full of ice cream. 

Before I share one of my new recipes, I want to leave you with this. When it comes to Mindful Eating, always refer to the BASICS.

B- Breath and belly check for hunger and satiety before and while you eat.

A- Assess your food before you eat.

S- Slow down. Don't rush the process from choosing what to eat to chewing the food.

I- Investigate your hunger throughout the meal. You don't feel full immediately, give it some time.

C- Chew your food thoroughly.

S- Savor your food. Enjoy it. 

When I took this class I immediately followed the instructor on twitter and Instagram, but I couldn't wait to read her blog: http://www.mindbodysoul-food.com/

*****

Time for a new recipe.  I had found a recipe on Forks Over Knives. It'is for Tortilla Roll-Ups with Lentils and spinach. The picture was gorgeous and I had been looking for something new to make with my lentils. 

The recipe ingredients include:

1/2 medium onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice (about 1 cup) *I forgot about that so I pulled out some frozen onions in a frozen pepper onion mix that I had. 

6 small cloves of garlic minced *I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge and eyeball it

1 teaspoon ras el hanout spice blend *I didn't know either (it a Moroccan mix and I made my own with paprika, cinnamon, cumin, and ginger)



1 15oz can (1.5 cup) of lentils, rinsed and drained (I only have dried and they expand greatly when you cook them)

1 tablespoon lemon juice

salt and pepper for taste

3- 8inch whole wheat tortillas

2 cups fresh spinach

1 cup of store-bought oil-free hummus. 

To start you saute the onion, garlic, and ras el hanout in a skillet. Add water and cook for 10 minutes. I have never had ras el hanout before, but I WILL have it again. It smells and tastes amazing. Savor that taste!

I needed to cook my lentils first. Since the recipe calls for 1.5 cups of lentils I put in 1 cup. I cooked it in vegetable broth to add flavor. In retrospect, I could have put in 3/4 cup of lentils. They really expanded. 

Next up you add the lentils and lemon juice to the skillet with the onions, garlic and mix and cook it for 3-4 minutes.




While it is cooking, wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and in the microwave for 30 seconds. (I forgot to do this with my first tortilla). You can also heat it over a gas burner for 30 seconds.

Next up is the assembly. Lay the tortilla on a flat surface and spread 2-3 tablespoons of hummus all over it. The spread the spinach in the center. Keep the spinach from the outer inch. 

Then spread the lentil mixture on top of the spinach. ( I made too much so I grabbed another tortilla and heated it up. Make a tight roll and refrigerate. When you are ready to serve cut off the ends and then cut the roll-up into 4 pieces. 

Okay I need to get better at my rolling. My lentils got messy. I think the next time I will put the lentils on first to stick to the hummus then put the spinach on top. I don't care how it looks though because it is sooooooooo tasty. Well done Jennie!


See you soon :-)

Have a Blessed Evening,


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


 If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts