Staying positive and keeping busy

Hello Beautiful People ,

I hope this finds you well. It's been 2.5 weeks of social distancing and it's going okay so far, but it could get more difficult as time goes on.  Preschool is closed until at least mid-may. Gyms are closed. We are on state mandate shutdown so I'm only seeing clients through zoom. I have a lot of time on my hands.  I know that many of you are in the same boat so I want to talk about what I'm doing to get through this.

It gets lonely. There are just two of us in the house and I am a social butterfly. I miss my people. They are my lifeline. Video chatting is good, but a lot of my people are working from home or have kids to take care of so it's not like I can talk to people all day. 

When the initial shut down was for two weeks I was planning on making the most of it. I had already planned to clean out my closet that first Saturday. I had been planning it for over a month. I had been getting new organizing containers and was just waiting for a Saturday that had nice weather and that I would be able to rest on Sunday. It was going to be an all day job and I didn't want to not relax after. So I started with a bang. Now what?  I had some bags to donate, but I have to hold on to them for the time being. So now I have a bin full of donations to the local thrift shop that benefits battered women. I will be happy to finally be able to donate them.

The good news is that I got my hair cut that Friday. It's a lot shorter and so I've had some time to play with it. I miss my braids, but I'm enjoying the lightness of it all.



After that first week I did sit down and write two posts on the Cruise. I loved reliving those days, but I didn't move for 2 whole days. My butt was sore. I needed a break before I write about Jamaica. I promise to do that soon though. 

So I decided that I would rotate things throughout the day. I would get up and walk around for 10 minutes. Then I could sit and read a chapter of the book that I wanted to finish. I would clean an area or put some things away. Back to walking around and then working on the Bags to Beds mat that I was crocheting. The point was to not stay in one place and make sure that there was something to show for it at the end of the day.

Let's talk TV binging.  Two weeks ago I finally started watching a series on Netflix that I had on my list forever. I love all things British and I love mysteries. Aunt Carol had asked me before if I watched Father Brown. I had not, but that felt like a good time to start. There were 6 seasons. The problem: it was leaving Netflix at the end of the month. I became addicted fast. I loved it. Father Brown is played by the actor who played Arthur Weasley in the Harry Potter movies and it was just delightful. I had gotten all of the way to the end of season 5 and was planning on binging season 6 on Tuesday, March 31st. The problem was that I read the last day wrong. It was already gone. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  My DVR is set to record it whenever it comes on PBS, but it's just once a week. 

I was scrolling through the guide and found a Biggest Loser marathon. I didn't watch this season, but I put it on for background noise. Listening to their stories reminded me of myself. What I really liked about this season was that they focused on their mental health. In the end they all learned to put themselves first. I liked the analogy that when it's needed, you put the oxygen mask on yourself first so that you can help others.

The following day was April 1st and I decided that I was going to look at this time at home as a Gift. I am far from where I want to be physically. I have the equipment. I would love to be able to go for walks, but I'm not in the best area for that and the pollen is a killer right now. So I decided to grab a notebook and start a journal for the month. I was going to keep a food diary and a workout schedule.  I was going to start planning out my workouts like I am my own client.

Lots of races are getting cancelled, rescheduled, or becoming virtual. Right now my Half Marathon in December is still scheduled. I need to use this time to really get me into training. I was thinking this morning that I could go down to the church on the corner and do laps in their parking lot. It's nothing exciting, but it's fresh air and exercise. I still need to be careful of the pollen, but if keep it short for the time being it's still better than nothing.

I have a lot of things on my "To-Do" list. I have studying that I can get started on. I have my Family tree to work on. I have books to read. Mom gave me a dvd and workbook on french lessons so I can refresh myself on it and hopefully go to Paris one day. Now that I have a plan in place for my physical self, I need to make sure that I'm taking care of my brain too. I love soduku so I'm making sure to play several games a day. I'm also in many Words with Friends games. It's a great time to do puzzles. I started one the first week. It was a brand new 1000 piece puzzle of a french cafe. I put 999 together, but still haven't found the last piece. I'm very nervous that it accidentally fell in my trash can and I threw it out. Bah!  Earlier in the week I went to Target for some groceries and essentials. I took a stroll through the board games and was happy to see that it was picked over. I love that people are playing board games during this time. My real destination though was for the puzzles. I have plenty, but we are in this for the long haul, so I wouldn't say no to another. There was one other woman in that section. We stayed 6 ft from each other and took turns pulling out puzzles to look at. In the end we both got the same puzzle. I'm anxious to start this one. One thousand pieces of the Women's March.



There's keeping busy and there's managing anxiety. The puzzles are good for that, but so are my Adult coloring books. For Christmas mom got me a book of postcards that you color. I've decided to color one a day and mail them to someone with a little joke to make someone smile. It's very calming.  I have been meaning to get some new resistance bands for a while, but now you can't find workout equipment in the stores. It's a nice bonus to think that so many people are still trying to stay active. I was able to find some online today so I ordered them and I added a Golden Girls coloring book to my cart. I can't wait to get started on that one.



Many of you have morning responsibilities. You have a job to do or kids to get ready. I'm doing my best to stick to a schedule. I may sleep in a little, but my goal is to be up by 8am at the latest every day.  My alarm goes off at 6:30 every day and I allow myself to hit snooze a little. I can't believe I'm still setting my alarm, but the only thing worse than anxiety is anxiety that keeps you awake at night. And so I get up every morning, shower, and I put make up on and make an effort. For a while I was doing well with sleep at night, but as this shut down continues it gets harder. And watching "Tiger King" before bed is not recommended.

I am clinging to video chats for a lifeline. Last night Ms. Tracey and I video chatted the whole time as we "watched the Masked Singer" together. It was lovely. I also have weekly family check-ins scheduled on Sunday nights and Friday night Happy hours with the girls.  I've also scheduled time where I read The Secret Garden so some kiddos as a bedtime story. It's so important to stay connected right now.  *If you are feeling especially lonely or isolated and need to video chat regularly just email me and we will make it happen jhenderonfit@gmail.com

Before I sign off, I know you are wondering how I am doing with chocolate. Well I gave it up for Lent and it's been tough, but I have kept to it. I have 10 days to go and I can do it. I mean I have even skipped hot chocolate. I'm committed. Now I'm not an Angel, I did splurge on some ice cream for a few days, but otherwise I've been so good. That's really what my food journal is for. It's to make sure that I can keep strong even after I can have chocolate again.  It's hard at the grocery store right now. I want to buy junk food, but knowing that I'm home all day means that it's tempting all day. So I don't buy it. I did get two containers of Cinnamon Rolls, but I have to make them in order to eat them. I'm saving that for the weekend.

Things are difficult now, but we will get through this. And hopefully we will come through with a greater appreciation of each other.

Have a Blessed Evening,

Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


 If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts