My Personal Report Card: Eating Right: B+ and Hydration: B-

Hello Lovely Ladies and Gents,

Last month I led a Healthy Eating Workshop at church. I was in my element. I loved planning it and leading it. I ran out of time because quite frankly I could talk for hours. Unfortunately I had a time limit of 2 hours. It was hard to narrow down what I wanted to talk about. What I really wanted to talk educate about are the different food groups and what we should eat and what we should avoid.

As I talked about each group we had different healthy foods served for tastings. I went overboard on that, but I wanted to make sure people knew that healthy eating doesn't have to be boring. I'm still planning a post detailing the Workshop, so I won't get into it now. Stay Tuned...

Anyway, there's nothing like planning a Healthy Eating Workshop to really make you pay attention to what you're eating.  I'm really pretty good, with my food, but I've been branching out lately and that's been fun. I'm pretty faithful about eating my garden salads, but I've been jazzing them up with special guest ingredients. Sometimes I've added roasted red peppers. Sometimes I've added berries. Sometimes I've added marinated artichokes. I've also been experimenting with different vegetable sides.  It's been delightful.

One of the dishes that I made at the Workshop inspired a Birthday Celebration at work. It made me squeal with delight. I can't tell you what we made just yet since I'm going to talk about the Workshop in a future post. Just know that everyone was delighted with their food and many people stepped out of their comfort zones and tried something new. That's what it's all about Ladies and Gentleman,

I have been able to indulge a little while eating out. However, one excursion did not go so well and it might actually put me off of hamburgers for a while. I have been craving a burger and I didn't really get a good one after the Half Marathon. That's my usual splurge. Well last week I was out to lunch, I won't mention where because I really like it and I don't want to ruin it for anyone. I ordered my burger medium done. I cut it to eat with a knife and a fork and I gradually noticed it was getting pinker as I cut. The third of the burger that I ate was fine, but the rest was almost completely rare. They made me a new one and I ate it (after cutting all up first). I should have just asked for chicken instead, but I honestly was starving and I couldn't think. I had eaten all of my steamed vegetable side and was trying really hard not to eat all of the complimentary bread. I haven't been physically sick, but mentally I have replayed it a hundred times and it's made me want to stop eating all together. I very rarely eat red meat (pun intended haha). I mean seriously it's like 4 times a year. I may be off of it for the rest of the year.

So my food habits are pretty good. I just need to control the stress eating sweet tooth.  That leaves my beverages. I'm the self proclaimed Hydration Police and yet that's where I'm struggling. I'm still drinking more water than most people, but I'm not getting my fill in. I'm compensating with too much coffee and sometimes some wine. You you follow me on social media it probably looks like I have a coffee IV hooked up. That's really not the case though. I make a 10 oz coffee in the morning and more often than not I still have some in there by lunch time. The problem is that I'm nursing that coffee all morning. If I'm out all day I may get a second coffee in the afternoon, but I try to keep it to a small.

I take multiple travel cups/mugs everywhere I go, at least at the beginning of the day.  I have a coffee and a cup of water/unsweetened iced tea. So I've been trying to drink the water/tea in the 30 minute car ride on the way to preschool It's been pretty good, except that it usually hits me a an inconvenient time. Oops.

The good news is that I do have to pee relatively soon after my water. That's a pretty good indication that I'm not dehydrated (my arch nemesis).  I'm being very conscious of my water intake right now. Especially when I'm more active that's when I need to increase it. Not to mention that the weather is getting nicer and hotter.  Water is nature's way of cooling your body temperature.

So how much water are we supposed to drink?  The number that you hear all of the time is: 8 glasses of 8 oz of water a day. That's so intimidating to so many people. First of all, 8 oz is nothing in this supersized world that we live in.  Second of all, it doesn't have to be in liquid form. Lots of fruits are water based. Think watermelon!

How much water you need to drink depends on many factors: age, weight/height, and activity level.  I hate to say: go by your thirst level. Because honestly most people don't think they are thirsty. That doesn't mean that your body doesn't need water.

Check out this article from FitnessJockey.com to figure out how much you need to drink:

https://fitnessjockey.com/how-much-water-should-you-drink-per-day/


Alrighty kids, I have a painting night ahead of me so I shall bid you adieu for now.

Have a Blessed Night,
Jennie
xoxo




****Please note****


 If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973




Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts